Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Been an Alfa owner for about 7 years now, had a ratty old V reg mk1 156 V6 then I saw my current car for sale. It's a 3.0 156 with the facelift interior, has some decent aftermarket suspension. Have barely modified her over the years other than a Supersprint backbox and removing the snorkel along with cutting the small baffle box thing in the air flow pipe; mine is just a straight through thingy which sounds that much better. Has some Racing Dynamic brake pads too but I find them overrated on the whole as they need some heat to get working. Of course nothing I have says I was sold a 3.0 but having come straight from a 2.5 it is simply night and day with the torque, plus it made 230bhp on a rolling road which I believe is simply un economical and an engine swap would be cheaper.

Anyway in short it's the greatest car I've ever owned and I simply cannot get enough of it. Every time I drive another car and think it isn't that bad I get back in the 156 and it's awesome all over again.

Sadly I've now acquired a family and work dictates I'm driving more miles so safety (no top tether for child seats) and economy is starting to be more of an issue than driving pleasure.

Having been fully indoctrinated by the badge I simply need to get another Alfa Romeo.

My realistic choices are the 1.4 Multiair Giuliuetta and the Diesel1.9 16v 159.

I "could" stretch to a 1.75 Giuliuetta or a 2.4 Diesel 2.4 although both will have significantly more running costs and I'd rather keep things as low as possible in case I have more children etc!

The Giulietta appeals as it's simply a more modern car and will still be a petrol. If I chip the engine it'll be 200bhp and "sufficient" having come from a 3.0 Busso. However is the driving position that bad? I'm 5 ft 7 so shouldn't have issues fitting in!

The 159 appeals as it simply looks stunning both exterior and interior but it's getting old now and I've got some doubts over it's manual gearbox and rust issues (have spent a fair bit reinforcing the 156). Plus I still feel that a real drivers car can never be Diesel, I drive my fair share of them at work and their lazier nature excludes them for sportiness. It's a big fat car too although I do live semi rural so that isn't a huge issue.

Anyone with experience of both able to give a comparison? (Sorry that this is my first forum post!)

Many thanks (y)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I can't compare, unfortunately, but can tell you I find nothing wrong in the driving position of my 1.4 Giulietta. I'm a hair's breadth less than six foot. It took five minutes to adjust the steering wheel and seat to the most comfortable position.

When the car came out ten years ago, there was much agitation about the lack of a foot rest. This made me go head first into the footwell of my then car, a Mondeo, to make the discovery it did have a foot rest. Didn't know as I'd never used it. My left foot is size 10 1/2 and I place it on the, er, floor, same as when I'm sitting anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I dont like hatchbacks....and I think the 1.4MA engine is a course and unrefined beast....not for me. No replacement for displacement!! Id be wanting a bigger engine in the Giulietta...1750TBI? If you want a derv 159 the obvious choice is the 2.0....more refined than the 1.9 or 2.4...better economy than both, Euro 5 rather than Euro 4 of the other two so cheaper tax and fuel cost...potentially less inner city charges too as they come into force. And of course the same tough F40 box as the 2.4. The low down torque (more than a 3.2 at peak revs and lots more than your 3.0!) makes it about as sporting as 2.0 derv can be (new ones aside which are pretty amazing)....just needs a different driving technique. Looks wise...always a personal thing of course...i think the 159 is ageing better than the Giulietta.

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
The 159 looks nice, but the Giulietta is a much better car overall compared to the 159 IMO.

Lighter, more agile to drive and the oily bits are far more reliable.

The driving position isn't the best but it is fine once you get used to it.

It will feel slightly numb in terms of driver involvement compared to the 156, but that in turn makes it less demanding to live with on a day to day basis.

The 2.0 Diesel engine sounds like an old fairground generator IMO. It is very loud for a modern diesel and is noticeable when driving slowly, and IMO you are better off going for the petrol unless you spend every day on the motorway.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
“I think the 1.4MA engine is a course and unrefined beast...”
What?
Just my view Sir....dont have to agree (you obviously dont!!)...but jump in the VAG equivalent. Different engine??...sure....feels like it was made on a different planet as far as smoothness and volume go. Of course there is the MA issues as well.....largely resolved now but still popping up now and again.

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
Just my view Sir....dont have to agree (you obviously dont!!)...but jump in the VAG equivalent. Different engine??...sure....feels like it was made on a different planet as far as smoothness and volume go. Of course there is the MA issues as well.....largely resolved now but still popping up now and again.
I bet the MA is far more reliable than the VAG equivalent.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
I wouldn’t jump in a VAG product nowadays but I went from an Audi petrol to an Alfa diesel and then back to petrol with the Giulietta MA. The 1.4 MA was great, better than the direct injected Audi I’d say. Those issues popping up....
Not as serious as some Audis. I have an opinion based on experience of all the engines discussed I believe.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
I read accounts a while back of cars at dealers with no fix available. That’s why they have so many loan cars..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah so the 2.0 Diesel would be the way to go if I was to get a 159, the Ti spec looks amazing but I've heard some bad things about the ride quality when the car is on 19"s.

I'll have to try both the Giulietta and 159 when the time comes as I might still be swayed by the driving experience.

Perfect world I'd keep the 156 but it'll come to an end sooner or later :confused:

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
Ah so the 2.0 Diesel would be the way to go if I was to get a 159, the Ti spec looks amazing but I've heard some bad things about the ride quality when the car is on 19"s.

I'll have to try both the Giulietta and 159 when the time comes as I might still be swayed by the driving experience.

Perfect world I'd keep the 156 but it'll come to an end sooner or later :confused:
The 2.0 Diesel is a good option, just make sure that you can live with the relative lack of refinement.

But they do go very nicely and are reliable.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
We have both....156 1.8 ts and 159 1.9 JTS
159 : Much better put together but dull to drive
156 : Vice versa
Never driven Giulietta.

3.0 156 ??? I can only dream how wonderful that must be to drive......I have owned the 1.6 TS and even it was fun.

You may be disappointed after driving a 156.

Short and sweet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have both....156 1.8 ts and 159 1.9 JTS
159 : Much better put together but dull to drive
156 : Vice versa
Never driven Giulietta.

3.0 156 ??? I can only dream how wonderful that must be to drive......I have owned the 1.6 TS and even it was fun.

You may be disappointed after driving a 156.

Short and sweet.
No doubt I'll be disappointed whatever choice I make even if I got a Giulietta 1.75 Cloverleaf/QV or whatever it's called. The 3.0 in a 156 is simply amazing, there are simply no downsides vs the 2.5 other than having to build or source a car with the engine in it. Solves probably the only small issue the 2.5 had which is low down torque, revs pretty much the same and even does better mpg...

159 and G have different design ethos from what I've been reading. 159 is far more of a cruiser and a 3 series type competitor and the Giuliutta is a VW Golf competitor.

A 159 would be cheaper (plus the 159 SW Ti looks pretty awesome) but the Giulietta is simply a more modern car. No rush anyway, if the Busso is sold it won't be at least the end of the year or until I can no longer afford the fuel bills and feed my family :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I've only driven a Golf for a week, and that was long ago, but the Giulietta is fun to drive whereas the VW wasn't.

Obviously a 1.4 engine is going to be totally different; nothing's going to match a 3.0 V6.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have had a 3.0V6 Busso V6 Alfa nothing else will compare - it's probably one of the best production engines ever built.You won't get the upper rev mange from either of those engines, and if you're an enthusiastic driver that may be an issue for you. All of that said the MA is a technically interesting engine (as is the V6) so if forced to choose would go for that. Better choice would be a Giulietta QV...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have had a 3.0V6 Busso V6 Alfa nothing else will compare - it's probably one of the best production engines ever built.You won't get the upper rev mange from either of those engines, and if you're an enthusiastic driver that may be an issue for you. All of that said the MA is a technically interesting engine (as is the V6) so if forced to choose would go for that. Better choice would be a Giulietta QV...
That's probably the reason why into my 6th year of owning this one car I'm still not bored of it, whereas before I tend to chop and change very often...

Would love a G QV but I'm concerned the running costs "might" make it unaffordable in the future, I think a chipped 1.4 MA is the best balance of all as it'll knock on the door of 200bhp but be far cheaper than a QV to run.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I picked up a 170MA after my commute increased to 98miles a day and though the 3.0 Gtv had used enough fuel (66k to 150k).

On a twisty or fast bit of road the Giulietta is fun and the electronic did seems really good. I'm more confident in the Gtv because it feels lower and stiffer suspension but the Giulietta has always been sure footed.

Giulietta soaks up the holes and bad roads.
Gtv and it's torque makes driving more relaxed when not pushing as can pull from nearly any gear.
Giulietta with auto wipers, quickly warming up heaters make bad weather driving nicer.
Gtv makes a lovely noise, whilst MA just makes a nice turbo whistle with the window open.
Giulietta around half the fuel costs of the V6.
Easy to change oil and filters on Giulietta, after 94k still on original suspension.
I find it harder to make a clean getaway with the Giulietta, low gear changes not as nice as Gtv.
Great stereo sound and hands free in Giulietta, needed a Bluetooth adapter.

I didn't sell the Gtv in the end and nice to jump in it on a nice day and roar, but the bills do roll in now it's not used every day, it's doesn't like sitting.

If the Gtv was beyond economic repair I would be happy with the Giulietta as my only car. Although I feel special driving around in a v6

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
The getaway got better on the MA when it went from 170 to 150. Perhaps the torque was remapped to lower revs but it really helped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts