Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16v Ti 2010
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know that towbars on alfas are not a common sight but I am a keen caravanner and it is a necessary evil for me.
I searched online and only found a couple of pictures of a 159 with a towbar fitted and not a whole lot of advice or instructions to help me.
I have fitted many towbars before but this was a bit of a pig to do on a 159.
Be warned it isn't a straight forward bolt on job, no pre drilled holes in the chassis at all!
It took me 2 days to do it all at a steady pace and only set me back about £132 for a detachable towbar and twin electric kit with canbus bypass relay.
Looks tidy enough and the instructions that came with it were excellent although more of the bumper had to be cut than it recommended.
The crash impact bar has to come off and be drilled, boot floor has to be drilled, as does the chassis. The towbar kit came from Italy and was equipped with a bracket for single electrics. The universal twin electrics kit I bought had the two sockets on a T shaped bracket. I cut the fixing bar off it and fitted the remaining two sockets on to the single mounting plate without issue.
Looks decent and I am happy with the result. Tows my 6 berth caravan that weighs 1320kg no problem at all.
Thought this might help anyone considering giving it a go! Cheaper than paying a fortune for someone to fit it for you.
DSC_0199_3.JPG DSC_0200_3.JPG DSC_0203_3.JPG DSC_0204_3.JPG DSC_0205_3.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
i might have a stab at this myself.

paid £400 to have one fitted on my old 159 and didn’t have the stomach to spend that again, when i only use it for the thule bike rack.....

can you share the link to what you bought please?

thanks

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Two seven pin sockets? Old skool! I'm guessing its an older model caravan as the caravan industry has not used those since 2008...a single 13 pin being the norm now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got really confused when I couldn't get the bumper back on and there was much head scratching!
I then realised I'd put the foam on the crash impact bar on upside down. Silly me.
You just need a decent 11mm drill bit and a hole cutter for the boot floor. No written instructions but the pictures were very good. Exact measurements were given for where to drill the holes in the crash impact bar and they were spot on.
I'd recommend anyone who is fairly handy gives it a go.
Id be happy to talk you through it if you need some advice Paul.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd recommend anyone who is fairly handy gives it a go.
Id be happy to talk you through it if you need some advice Paul.
Thanks Mike

i’ve ordered the tow bar - don’t need double socket.

did you mention needing a loom to work with canbus? or does it come with in??

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last month I fitted the Brink towbar from PfJones , it was straightforward to fit though I haven't wired it up yet.
I've been looking for someone to do it but people want silly money so it can stay like that for a while, I only use the bar to tow scrap shell to the scrap man on a quiet road .
Anyone near TF9 fancy wiring into the car lights for me ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need a canbus 7 way relay. You can get them on ebay and elsewhere for cheap enough.
Search for TEB7AS. Easy enough to wire up.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
You will need a canbus 7 way relay. You can get them on ebay and elsewhere for cheap enough.

nice one

where did you tap into the various wires?

despite my “professionally fitted” one on my old 159, the wiring was like a birds nest and nor exactly tucked away neatly behind the bumper.....

i had the detachable thule previously

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It wasn't as easy as most cars due to the fact the the rear lights are split and the reverse and fog lamp are in the boot lid. I followed the harness to the underside of the parcel shelf on the nearside and it leads back behind the boot carpet on the nearside rear quarter. I just tapped in there. Just use a multi meter to figure it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you need me to I'll have a look and send you a list of the wires / colours.

·
Registered
570 Posts

I have the cam bus relay , I have everything needed, I just needed wiring into the lights/power or a diagram/pics of the wires which need to be spliced

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the series 6 is lovely. It is near the maximum weight but tows very well actually. As you say, load over the axle and be sensible!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have kept the scrap piece of paper that I made my wiring notes on and can tell you that I found the following:

From nearside rear lamp cluster :
Left indicator - blue
Brake / stop lamp - green
Side lights - yellow/green

From Boot lid harness:
Fog lamp - green
Reverse - grey/red

From offside rear lamp cluster:
Right indicator - blue/red

Just connect both side light wires together, there is no point in using two from both sides of the car. I have done this many times before without issues.

I used a few feet of wire to run the wire from the offside across the boot to the nearside where I hid the wiring behind the carpet on the rear quarter.
There is a fuse box behind the flap and used a live feed from there that didn't have a fuse already in use.

I fed the cable up through a grommet in the boot floor which is right under the fuse box. You can see it from under the car above the rear exhaust silencer.

There are loads of easy places to put a ring terminal to an earth.

There are other posts on here I have read about the rear fuse box. half the fuse box is a permanent live feed and the other is an ignition live.

If you need any more pics let me know.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have kept the scrap piece of paper that I made my wiring notes on and can tell you that I found the following:

From nearside rear lamp cluster :
Left indicator - blue
Brake / stop lamp - green
Side lights - yellow/green

From Boot lid harness:
Fog lamp - green
Reverse - grey/red

From offside rear lamp cluster:
Right indicator - blue/red

Just connect both side light wires together, there is no point in using two from both sides of the car. I have done this many times before without issues.

I used a few feet of wire to run the wire from the offside across the boot to the nearside where I hid the wiring behind the carpet on the rear quarter.
There is a fuse box behind the flap and used a live feed from there that didn't have a fuse already in use.

I fed the cable up through a grommet in the boot floor which is right under the fuse box. You can see it from under the car above the rear exhaust silencer.

There are loads of easy places to put a ring terminal to an earth.

There are other posts on here I have read about the rear fuse box. half the fuse box is a permanent live feed and the other is an ignition live.

If you need any more pics let me know.

This is Superb, Thank you for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem mate. Any issues get back to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Likewise - thanks for the further info Mike

I’ve had the boot carpet out and discovered the very handy live feed when I fitted the amp and subwoofer, so with tour wiring pointers I’ll be good to go I reckon.

I might document my install with pics too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
500 Posts
Very recognizable what you wrote. Having fitted a number of towbars myself in the past onto various Alfa's, I just fitted a detachable WESTFALIA onto mine. If anyone is interested I can share a number of pictures like this guideline has.

Never seen that setup with a twin-set of sockets; can't you easily convert to 13p like Alfaitalia mentioned?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts