Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
i currently own a M3 e46 and may have to sell for work reasons.(totally gutted!!)
I need to get a nice diesel for travel fancy a alfa 159 ti.
Whats the good ,bad and the ugly or so to speak any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1

That said, happy to give my personal experience if you have questions beyond what the buyers guide can answer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love it bought a 60 plate in July. Heavy car and a bit slow to pick up the turbo. Lovely drive specially corners and all the sporty bits are a joy! 38mpg though 42 on a run. In love again!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Had a 1.9 diesel with a tuning box running at about 190bhp and it was great. Know the 2.4s are great on performance but think a later 2.0 diesel with remap would give you a great balance between economy and power, though not as quick but neither as front heavy as the admirable 2.4.

·
Registered
114 Posts
2.4 Ti, remap and DPF removed.

You'll be disappointed after what you've been driving otherwise.

Welcome!
I'd agree with this!

But then, stepping away from a +300 hp coupe will always have its drawbacks....

Remapping can give phenomenal torque (mine was roaded and gave 478ft lbs) but even still the 2.4 won't make much more than 250 HP without removing the dpf or really going to town with engine mods...

Don't get me wrong, in real world terms it is now a bloody quick car and gives me a lot of driving pleasure (I love it to bits!) But it ain't an M3...

·
Registered
114 Posts
One elephant in the room. If you are after performance, imo it's either the 2.4 or the 1750 tbi.

If you want a sportwagon, they're rarer than hens teeth if you're looking for something in particular.

Took me almost 6 months to find one...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One elephant in the room. If you are after performance, imo it's either the 2.4 or the 1750 tbi.

If you want a sportwagon, they're rarer than hens teeth if you're looking for something in particular.

Took me almost 6 months to find one...

Thanks Guys,
If i went down the 2.4 road with remapp etc what mpg would i see???
Any things i should be looking at before i take the plunge??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Obviously it depends on your right foot! But joking aside, a healthy 2.4 should return around 36-38 MPG if it's not being thrashed all the time.

Post remap it "should" put about 5mpg onto your efficiency.

Things to look out for...

Swirl flaps can wear out on the inlet manifold. A smoke test would highlight any issues.

My knowledge of the inlet manifolds on the 2.4 isn't great, but if you get one with an alloy manifold you can do a temporary fix to stop the leaking but the car will not eat them (unlike the plastic manifolds, but then I don't know if the 2.4 ever got a plastic inlet manifold....anyone?)

The manifold itself can get very badly coked up. Ideal solution is an egr "delete"/switch off as part of the remap and then pull off the head and manually clean it out.

Halfway measure is a chemical flush -which I did - and it did help things.

The crank pulley can fail at c.70k which is pretty spectacular if it does. It's a three piece construction with the sandwich layer just bonded rubber. Once that perishes it falls to pieces under load. Which is nice...

Other than that (off the top of my head) check under the car if you can. The 2.4 being a heavy lump will take out the bushes in the front wishbones and they're not cheap to replace.

@70,000 I'd inspect the following:

Suspension arms and bushes
Join between bell housing and block (any oil indicates rear crank seal going)
Gearbox linkages lubed?
Gearbox itself....
DMF and clutch (if needing replacement that'd be c.£1500 with labor)
Cold start characteristics (smoke and rough points to coked up manifold and or swirl flaps
Swirl flaps!
Crank pulley
PAS reservoir (don't know much about this but there are threads on here)
Water pump
cambelt
Front wheel bearings

If you look at a car registered from 58 onwards it should be a facelift. Signs are,
rear badge is also a push button for the boot,
Stubby aerial
Heater controls that have blue and red bits above them.

Why is this important? From March in 2008 they lightened the front end. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the lower subframe was switched to alloy and front roll bar became hollow rather than solid.

The alleged savings were c. 40kgs though there is suggestion Alfa used creative accounting to establish the weight saving.

The last of the 2.4s were registered in 2010, but your talking about numbers in their tens (I'll check to be sure)

So the latest you'll probably ever see are 59 plates.

I've probably bored you to death now!

Also, this is my experience so others may disagree with my list! But hopefully it helps.

One last thing, apologies if this is starting the bleeding obvious, but if you're looking for a 2.4 now. Chances are it will have quite some mileage. So it is unlikely to be perfect and probably will need some form of additional investment if you want it to be as good as possible.

Essay over..... hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you look at a car registered from 58 onwards it should be a facelift. Signs are,
rear badge is also a push button for the boot,
Stubby aerial
Heater controls that have blue and red bits above them.

Why is this important? From March in 2008 they lightened the front end. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the lower subframe was switched to alloy and front roll bar became hollow rather than solid.

The alleged savings were c. 40kgs though there is suggestion Alfa used creative accounting to establish the weight saving.
N.B. They removed some of the electrical toys in the cabin on later models to reduce the weight also.
The wheels stick out on the 159 more than previous Alfas that I have owned, so expect kerbing on the wheels and lots of stone chips all along the flanks. The front end (though beautiful) is bluff and also suffers badly from stone chips. (not always indicative of life a in the fast lane)
They are heavy cars (Alfa lied about the weight) and tend to snap coil springs, listen for a graunching sound when mounting a driveway at an angle. A reliable replacement/slight upgrade (from Ti spec) is to change them all to Eibach pro sports, better quality, longer life and cheaper than the Alfa ones!
If you go for a saloon check that the boot lid does not hit the back window, the struts can break, but the main problem is the "over travel" tab which bends. This requires the boot lid to be removed and a welding gun to heat and reshape the tab.
Check the dash area around the key fob socket, because if people add their house keys etc. to the cars fob then they tend to dangle and scratch this area.
Ti is the best spec to go for and the most desirable, there should be a sticker on the drivers door pillar denoting the model, some owners have reported that their Ti's are Lusso on the V5

Edit: if someone is trying to pass off a Turismo or Lusso as a Ti (I have been to look at one) then be aware that you can buy these stickers on Fleabay.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
there should be a sticker on the drivers door pillar denoting the model, some owners have reported that their Ti's are Lusso on the V5
That's a good point. Is also reminded me that, before the facelift, the engine was updated too.

This happened between the 57 and 08 registration period but I don't know if this was a binary thing or if there was a mixture of variants coming out of Turin...

Anyway, check this same sticker. If it's a later pre-facelift 2.4 it'll state '210' in brackets in the vehicle description. Earlier versions (which apparently have a different turbo) are rated to 200hp. So any remap etc will be a bit lower as a result.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Ti version has 210, all of them, when the 200 engine was on sale there was no Ti available. You`ll want the 210 version, it has a stronger/ better Garrett Turbo instead of the KKK.

Dunno the kind of roads you drive, but with 19 wheels the ride is not very confy, and can get a little bumpy. On the highway though, it`s very good, it feels "GT". The 5 cylinders is not quiet, as oposed to a modern car you will listen to it, personally i like it, best diesel around in that matter. If you do a remap, be carefull with the clutch, or it will slip in 5th and 6th. Be prepared for some small issues here and there, nothing serious but it will happen. The car is fabulous to look at, the dash is well finished, the Ti seats are nice, the steering wheel etc etc. Love mine to bits, being married and having 2 kids is perfect for me, it balances sport with family in style, otherwise i would have a cabrio or a 2 seater. The mpg, coming from an M3 you should expect the double of your current machine. It`s possible to do an economic ride, but if you enter the city trafic, the consumption goes higher almost instantly :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
@ferret-ears and @rsvmille are spot on! Incidentally another advantage of sticking 245/40/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric 2s on your Ti (apart from price and performance) is that they stick out even wider around the rim affording a degree of protection to the wheels. You will still learn to drive wider around corners, spot potholes from 100 metres and to reverse park with precision.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have come from a line of Fast Fords and switching to my 2.0 JTDm 170, I am finding it very slow, as said it takes a while to pick up and I have to do a fair bit of down shifting for over taking.

Having said that a remap is on the cards and then I am sure it will be perfect!

I have a 2011 model so I have the facelift dark dash interior with the lush 1/2 leather/Alcatera seats, wow those seats in fact the whole interior is such a nice place to be when cruising on the m/way.

As mentioned earlier in this thread some late cars were registered as Lusso's but are in fact still TI's, I have one and can confirm the sticker on the B pillar says Lusso/TI.

Now if your canny like I was some dealers are none the wiser and you can get a TI for the price of a Lusso, as they use a 3rd party company to populate the spec of the car in their adverts via the numberplate/V5. Keep em peeled I have seen quite a few 10 plate onwards cars being TI's but being sold as Lusso's.

My car has done 123K now I have owned it 6 months and I haven't spent a bean on it (apart from mods). Fuel consumption is not great though for a Derv, best I got was 47mpg, worst 34mpg, I use Fuelly to track every fill up. My old 156 2.4 which had done over 190K averaged 46mpg !!

Also remember Alfa 159 are still quite a rare sight on our roads, and esp in TI spec they get some nice admiration.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts