Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After being fed up buying each year new tyres due to inner wear of the tyres, I was curious if someone here can share/upload his wheel alignment report of his Alfa 159 TI with a nice and neat even wear of all tyres. I want to use the values of that report to get a proper wheel alignment procedure done shortly so that my 159 doesnt eat up again the tyres unevenly. Thanks in advance for sharing.

P.S. please dont make this a long thread with all sorts of discussions about the alignment. I am desperatly seeking a nice and short response of someone who cracked the code of the uneven wear and tear of the 159 TI. And YES I know the 159 especially in the TI trim is a difficult patient to cure but still I think I read somewhere that someone cracked the code.

Thanks a lot.....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I also found having power flex lower arm main bush aswell as having alignment set as per linked thread made mine wear evenly.
The only issue with powerflex for me was noise once the colder weather arrived,they creaked going over speed bumps etc.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I had mine done on Monday - to the supposed best alignment for negating uneven tyre wear - I also had the powerflex bushes fitted at the same time.

Too early to comment on tyre wear, but happy to upload my report when I get home.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
short answer is factory specs for the rear but set the front toe to zero / parallel (or perhaps only a small fraction of toe out but much less than the factory specs).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understood that you can chuck the factory settings into the bin a while ago since every 159 leaves the factory with the wrong values. Hence I would rather rely on experience of other 159 owners instead of taking a risk of following some crazy italian guy who worked for Alfa having too many prosecco's back in 2006 and attempted to write down the correct specs for alignment. No offense :rotate:

These tyres are too precious/costly to go and buy a fresh set every year when only doing 20.000 km a year! I don't mind buying tyres but not due to poor alignment forcing me spending unnecessary bucks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I understood that you can chuck the factory settings into the bin a while ago since every 159 leaves the factory with the wrong values. Hence I would rather rely on experience of other 159 owners instead of taking a risk of following some crazy italian guy who worked for Alfa having too many prosecco's back in 2006 and attempted to write down the correct specs for alignment. No offense :rotate:

These tyres are too precious/costly to go and buy a fresh set every year when only doing 20.000 km a year! I don't mind buying tyres but not due to poor alignment forcing me spending unnecessary bucks.
the factory specs are the same for everyone......it's in the database that these companies all get their info from....even if the car left the factory wrong (which I doubt) then that wouldn't make any difference to the official manufacturer specification.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do about 15000 per year and buy 2 tyres per year, worn front tyres are replaced with new and put on the back of the car with the partially worn rear tyres placed on the front, so even if the inner shoulders are wearing it only happens in the second year of use so I get 2 years and 30000 miles out of each pair of tyre's.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I understood that you can chuck the factory settings into the bin a while ago since every 159 leaves the factory with the wrong values. Hence I would rather rely on experience of other 159 owners instead of taking a risk of following some crazy italian guy who worked for Alfa having too many prosecco's back in 2006 and attempted to write down the correct specs for alignment. No offense

the factory specs are the same for everyone......it's in the database that these companies all get their info from....even if the car left the factory wrong (which I doubt) then that wouldn't make any difference to the official manufacturer specification.
I am sure I read somewhere the official specs were altered at some point but it has taken time for this info to be filtered down to manufacturers of alignment gear?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Craftsmen that really understand how to set up, and correct, wheel alignment are rare as hen’s teeth.

Most only know how to operate modern test benches by the OK or NOK it returns. Not how how all different parameters tie in to each ohter and by that either can correct some by alternative setting or even pin point to where the root cause lies.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do about 15000 per year and buy 2 tyres per year, worn front tyres are replaced with new and put on the back of the car with the partially worn rear tyres placed on the front, so even if the inner shoulders are wearing it only happens in the second year of use so I get 2 years and 30000 miles out of each pair of tyre's.
What is your tyre size and what kind of 159 do you have? What is the name of the brand and model of the tyre you are using getting 30.000 miles out of them?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
What is your tyre size and what kind of 159 do you have? What is the name of the brand and model of the tyre you are using getting 30.000 miles out of them?
He's in Dublin it seems where they use kilometres

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Rotating the tyres is definitey the way to go, I've had rears that have lasted 3/4 years, and been through 3/4 sets on the fronts, the rears started delaminating due to age (think they had been lying around before I got them which didn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts