Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Basically looking to source a pair of Ti sideskirts however am having a few issues.

Veloces want £300 for genuine OEM skirts plus £120 to paint them into the factory pre-primed plastic. I feel £420 for a pair of plastic skirts is alot.

I've seen minigonne replica skirts on ebay for £140 but they are un-primed, and from what I hear, if they aren't pre-primed from the factory, even priming them aftermarket often leads to paint flaking off. Can anyone confirm if they have these skirts. But even then I'd be looking at £115+£40 postage, plus £150 to get them primed and painted, so in total £305.

Does anyone know of any other sources for cheaper genuine skirts pre-primed or am I pretty much seeing all there is to offer?

Cheers,
Joe.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah same, only issue is they aren't primed, and so will have to be primed at a bodyshop, baked as well in order to give it the durability of the body work. That's what I was concerned about, you can't just slap any older primer on and expect the paint to stay like the rest of the paint work. Would need to be sealed /clear coated as well I assume.

·
Registered
186 Posts
any good body shop should be able to sort these, surly they would be used to this,they are abs plastic so a plastic primer and then paint?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Is it worth chatting to breakers? Most often its the front and rear that is a write off, miht strike it lucky and get the right colour?!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never been to a breakers yard in my life, what is the usual process in regards to acquiring parts? Do you ring and ask if they have a specific model of car and then mention you're interested in a certain part or is it like Scrapheap challenge and you have to go and find and sift through everything yourself. Also do they charge you for what you recover and if so how do they value what you want to take?

My only concern with salvaging the skirts is won't they be glued / bonded on, and if so is there a chance of damaging the skirt? And two won't I need to then go and buy a new installing kit with clips / glue e.t.c myself anyhow?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I've never been to a breakers yard in my life, what is the usual process in regards to acquiring parts? Do you ring and ask if they have a specific model of car and then mention you're interested in a certain part or is it like Scrapheap challenge and you have to go and find and sift through everything yourself. Also do they charge you for what you recover and if so how do they value what you want to take?

My only concern with salvaging the skirts is won't they be glued / bonded on, and if so is there a chance of damaging the skirt? And two won't I need to then go and buy a new installing kit with clips / glue e.t.c myself anyhow?

Cheers.

Not sure on fitting, if they are damaged they probably won't let you have them or drop the price, but yes, you'll probably want a fitting kit

but as far as scrapers are concerned, there are some where it is a scrap heap challenge and you are free to climb over car and get parts, others are a case of telling them the make, model and part.
Generally they are a lot cheaper than new parts, (often 25% of new price), but guess it depends on how easy it is to get the old one off (wing mirrors compared to say crank rod)

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
186 Posts

Cheers.
clear silicone will hold them on, i used it for a spoiler and it stayed solid for years

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

Cheers.
If you use the site I linked to, you can search their site and they'll send it to you, no need to go in person.
They get through a lot of cars so worthwhile doing a regular check.
They were scrapping a white Spider LE just like mine when I needed a new boot lid. Bingo!
Then take the parts to the bodyshop for paint (if needed) & fitting. Simples.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the Minigone ones from eBay and they are fine... I think... but I could never find a good bodyshop that could paint them for a reasonable amount, I think I was quoted 300 quid last time I asked. So I have painted them myself which was probably not the best idea.. so I am still on the lookout for a good paintshop as I'm not entirely happy with the result :embarrassed:. Anyone recommend someone reasonable for this job somewhere close to Berkshire?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
£300 sounds alot, I got a quote for £150 from a chip repairer but not sure if that included priming, but I think there is obviously the base cost of mixing the paint and clear coating. I was quotes £120 by Veloces to paint the OEM ones from their website though they are already primed I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts