Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 1.9 ti is due new discs and pads, I am after buying drilled and grooved just because I like the look of them. I know it's not a race car bla bla bla. Are they the same as standard 2.4 discs being 330mm? And what would you recommend for pads?

Thanks Brad

·
Registered
350 Posts
Pretty sure all Ti's use the 330mm brembo calipers same caliper as many other cars (GTA's, Scoobys etc etc)

Just replaced mine for the mtec black edition drilled and grooved, got them off the bay for £111.00, they work well and the black really helps the look, overall very impressed.

I also bought Performance friction pads as they seem to be the best all round pad. bought mine from here Alfa Romeo 147 / 156 / GT GTA 3.2L Front Brake Pads - PartBox Performance and Tuning Parts

they are advertised as 147/156 GTA but they are exactly the same pad. Again overall very impressed. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My advice regarding grooved / slotted etc would be go ahead BUT give the drilled a miss !!! When they get hot through hard use the holes tend to get joined up by fractures/cracks ----- just think about what could be destroyed by large pieces of disc breaking up and flailing around ---- brake lines etc etc let alone tyres or bodywork.
I used to use drilled discs on my race car and they were awesome with the HAWK Black pads I was using --- however , one day laying under the car , up on blocks , to adjust the toe --- I thought I saw very fine lines or what looked like lines between the holes . Took the wheels off to inspect then I realised the lines were cracks joining most of the drilled holes .
I was VERY lucky to see this before they disintegrated and replaced them immediately ---- and I mean lucky because it wasn't noticable unless you actually looked for it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Whilst I can except that argument, these are for a road car not a race car, i doubt there is a road in the country empty for long enough to get close to race track conditions.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Whilst I can except that argument, these are for a road car not a race car, i doubt there is a road in the country empty for long enough to get close to race track conditions.
Didn't intend to put a damper on things , I was just concerned for your safety as it surprised me , especially as the car weighs just 600kgs so brakes don't have to work very hard.
At least inspect them with a torch occasionally , better safe than sorry ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure all Ti's use the 330mm brembo calipers same caliper as many other cars (GTA's, Scoobys etc etc)

Just replaced mine for the mtec black edition drilled and grooved, got them off the bay for £111.00, they work well and the black really helps the look, overall very impressed.

I also bought Performance friction pads as they seem to be the best all round pad. bought mine from here Alfa Romeo 147 / 156 / GT GTA 3.2L Front Brake Pads - PartBox Performance and Tuning Parts

they are advertised as 147/156 GTA but they are exactly the same pad. Again overall very impressed. :thumbs:
Thank you il take up your advice and let you know how i go on :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had these cracks with drilled discs on a road car before. I concur that grooved discs are better IMO.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've had grooved/drilled disks on my MX5 before now with no problems, 'But' I'm not the fastest driver in the world, (It was my track car not just an everyday hack)

I'd be happy to use them again on a road car, but you can get the dimpled ones which IMHO don;t look as good or offer the cooling of fully drilled but they might do you?

When I finally get round to swapping my disks/pads (If I can ever reach a point where breakdowns stop taking all my disposable income) then I'll go for grooved/fully drilled with EBC red/green stuff pads (I don;t know how good this will be as I have'nt tried anything other than stock on my Alfa, but I had good results on my (much lighter) MX5, Like I said I'm not the fastest driver, these just suited my ability)

With anything other than a stock disk/pad arrangement I would expect the inspection intervals to be short enough to find any problems early enough to fix (just as you did with your cracked disks Rob (If you hadn;t been adjusting the toein you would have propbably found another reason to be under the car and have a quick look anyway?))

Axe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had grooved/drilled disks on my MX5 before now with no problems, 'But' I'm not the fastest driver in the world, (It was my track car not just an everyday hack)

I'd be happy to use them again on a road car, but you can get the dimpled ones which IMHO don;t look as good or offer the cooling of fully drilled but they might do you?

When I finally get round to swapping my disks/pads (If I can ever reach a point where breakdowns stop taking all my disposable income) then I'll go for grooved/fully drilled with EBC red/green stuff pads (I don;t know how good this will be as I have'nt tried anything other than stock on my Alfa, but I had good results on my (much lighter) MX5, Like I said I'm not the fastest driver, these just suited my ability)

With anything other than a stock disk/pad arrangement I would expect the inspection intervals to be short enough to find any problems early enough to fix (just as you did with your cracked disks Rob (If you hadn;t been adjusting the toein you would have propbably found another reason to be under the car and have a quick look anyway?))

Axe.
I've tried, plain vented, drilled, grooved, grooved and drilled, dimpled... The EBC dimpled discs were a bit of a dissapointment to be honest. I thought they would offer the benefits of drilled discs without the problems with cracking but they just didn't seem that great. For high performance, I'd stick with grooved discs but for plain road use, plain discs are fine to be honest. Pad wear is higher with grooved discs.

Incidentally, the cross-drilling does not significantly aid cooling as I understand it. Instead the primary benefit is that it allows gasses to escape from between the pad and disc plus builds up pad material on the leading edges of the holes to improve bite.

For pads, again I've tried EBC Green, EBC Red, Ferrodo DS2500 and Pagid. The best pads depends entirely on the car so I don't have any experience on the Alfa yet. I'd say that the Ferrodo and Pagid pads are better than the EBC variants from my experience on a much lighter car. The pads bring a greater difference than the discs.

For brake feel, the best mod I ever did (again non-Alfa) was to replace the old rubber hoses with BF Goodridge braided hoses.

Interesting info here: http://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/formula_student/sae/brake_discs.aspx

For my 159 for road use, I will probably stick with plain discs and some uprated pads.

Testing sites include the Nurburgring, La Sarthe (Le Mans), Cadwell Park and the M6 Toll Road.

Ian A.

Oh one final thing. The best way of improving braking performance is to have a lighter car. I often wonder how good the 159 would be with a stripped out interior and some lightweight seats. My wife is not convinced! :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Axe.
YES -- you are spot on , I check my race car underneath , every nut and bolt is crossed with tippex ----- however , I was worried for the original poster because most road drivers will never see under their car unless they get a puncture or it's on the ramp in a garage

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've tried, plain vented, drilled, grooved, grooved and drilled, dimpled... The EBC dimpled discs were a bit of a dissapointment to be honest. I thought they would offer the benefits of drilled discs without the problems with cracking but they just didn't seem that great. For high performance, I'd stick with grooved discs but for plain road use, plain discs are fine to be honest. Pad wear is higher with grooved discs.

Incidentally, the cross-drilling does not significantly aid cooling as I understand it. Instead the primary benefit is that it allows gasses to escape from between the pad and disc plus builds up pad material on the leading edges of the holes to improve bite.

For pads, again I've tried EBC Green, EBC Red, Ferrodo DS2500 and Pagid. The best pads depends entirely on the car so I don't have any experience on the Alfa yet. I'd say that the Ferrodo and Pagid pads are better than the EBC variants from my experience on a much lighter car. The pads bring a greater difference than the discs.

For brake feel, the best mod I ever did (again non-Alfa) was to replace the old rubber hoses with BF Goodridge braided hoses.

Interesting info here: http://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/formula_student/sae/brake_discs.aspx

For my 159 for road use, I will probably stick with plain discs and some uprated pads.

Testing sites include the Nurburgring, La Sarthe (Le Mans), Cadwell Park and the M6 Toll Road.

Ian A.

Oh one final thing. The best way of improving braking performance is to have a lighter car. I often wonder how good the 159 would be with a stripped out interior and some lightweight seats. My wife is not convinced! :)
Re-- lighter car , YES Mr Chapman , you're so right --- shame it weighs 1.6 tonnes plus aye :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts