Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Alfa 159, TBi 1.8L, 2010

After changing timing belt an oil leak started from the exhaust variator P/N 55215215. (Phase adjuster, camshaft adjuster)
Camshaft oil seals changed twice but still oil is leaking.
The variator surface that contact the oil seal is wear and is not smooth as it should be.
I'm attaching pictures of the variator where the surface touching the oil seal is ragged and uneven which leads to this oil leak.
The easy solution would be to replace the variator to brand new one, however it is expensive so I am looking for ideas how to solve it without replacing the variator

Any experience with such issue?
Any idea to solve it without changing the variator?

This is the part:

Wood Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument Musical instrument accessory
Wood Finger Household hardware Gas Auto part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Gas

·
Registered
Brera 1750TBi (2010)
384 Posts
Well you're supposed to service it anyway though. Is it noisy on cold starts (diesel rattle)? Cause if it is already, even if briefly, I wouldn't waste my time looking for any alternative solutions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you're supposed to service it anyway though. Is it noisy on cold starts (diesel rattle)? Cause if it is already, even if briefly, I wouldn't waste my time looking for any alternative solutions.
On cold start there is a minor noise for one second, maybe less, so I am not sure if it needs to be replaced

·
Registered
Brera 1750TBi (2010)
384 Posts
On cold start there is a minor noise for one second, maybe less, so I am not sure if it needs to be replaced
Then it's already on it's way. It's not worth the hassle to repair it as you might need to replace it soon anyways. If it's noisy it's worn out basically. Or you could fully recondition it. Not sure if it's an cost effective or reliable option but might be worth looking into. People were doing this on TS engines I recall with varying success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts