Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Switch Live
I have just fitted an Android unit to my wife's 159. However I am having problems with the switch live that is only at 4.5V.

I have the CTSAR002 and with that connected into the circuit the output switch live from that continually cycles between 12V and 4.5V over about 2 seconds so it is trying to work but not correctly. As the switch live voltage swings the Android unit starts to switch on then stops again.

To overcome this I feed the switch live direct from the 12V permanent live and while that worked it flattened the car battery over a week.

So what voltage is your switch live; is it solid at 12V or there abouts or is it at 4.5V and the CTSAR002 is defective.

Next question on CTSAR002 steering control adaptor
The adaptor only has a single wire connecting to the steering controls but my yellow connector on the car has 4 wires. When connected to the Android unit I can only programme 3 steering wheel button positions either 2 on the left button and 1 on the right or vice-versa. Trying to programme any more just over rights the previous programming. Is the CTSAR002 defective or have I bought the wrong unit as I now notice that there is a CTSAR002.2 that specifically states phone control.

There seem to be 3 options for 159 adaptor; the one I have is the first which does not specify phone control. The next two specify phone control and one is Connects2 and the other is Dynamic Sounds own make - which is the best of these two?

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...stalk-steering-control-interface-adaptor.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alf...alk-control-adaptor-phone-button-support.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alf...-adaptor-phone-button-support-ctsar002-2.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
Must be limited current that runs to the radio through that wire..

A diode & a big capacitor on radioside of diode to keep the voltage up? (I know its a rough way of doing it...But ;-) )

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Sounds faulty to me, or a bad connection, particularly with the power wire.

The yellow plug is meant for the BOSE system, and not steering wheel controls.
The steering controls are via the Alfa CANBUS wires as far as I know.

I didn't know there was a difference between SWC interfaces. The Connects2 version seems the most universal. Is yours brand new, or used previously and known to work?

:)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chipmik: To clarify - my car switch live is 4.5V and I don't think it is limited current that is causing that voltage reading (drop). The voltage was tested with a Fluke77 multimeter and then checked with a Fluke287 to a proven good earth so I doubt that the meter is drawing enough current to cause a voltage drop. The switch live output from the CTSAR002 is cycling between 4.5V and 12V again tested with both meters so there must some electronics in the adaptor trying to hold it at 12V but failing and again not caused by current draw. Without the circuit diagrams I don't know if the fault is my vehicle switch live or the CTSAR002. If someone could read their car switch live voltage I would have a very good indication if the fault is my car switch live or the CTSAR002. Diode and capacitor on output of CTSAR002 might work but there really is no room to put anymore behind this unit and I doubt that I can get it all back in without damaging the components plus I do hate failing to find root cause!

Shiny-car: The CTSAR002 is brand new so not previously proven. I can only assume the yellow section of the plug connector on the car is canbus as my car is not BOSE and I have identified every other wire on the multiplug, know what they are for and they are not canbus wires. Picture of the multiplug is attached. If I leave this disconnected I do not have any SWC input. With this connected I can programme up to 3 of what I expected to be 8.

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Without BOSE, the wires in the yellow mini-ISO plug would be redundant. In the schematic, the wires in the yellow plug are represented by the wires in the bottom right of the picture, including a BOOSTER wire to trigger the BOSE amp on/off and 2-channel audio signal wires.

I haven't seen any schematics to suggest the steering wheel control wires are in the yellow plug.

In older Alfa's (eg: 147/GT), the SWC wires were in the green plug. In the 159 schematic, these are represented by the NC (no connection) positions. I notice your car doesn't have any wires in the green plug.

Anyway, a lack of dedicated SWC wires in the 159 makes me deduce the signals are sent via CANBUS. The CANBUS wires are in the main plug, CAN A and CAN B.

In your car, ensure the Ub wire (main power wire) is providing a solid +12V, and lines up with the yellow power wire in the CTSAR002.

But again, I suspect your CTSAR002 is faulty.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you; I will look more closely.

I am currently in dialogue with Connects2 but am doubtful of the quality of their support line because when asking for clarity on differences between CTSAR002 and CTSAR002.2 they state that they don't make a CTSAR002!

I would still love someone to measure the switch live voltage on their 159.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i never used the yellow plug when i fitted mine and all works great inc steering controls , these are done through canbus.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
corasdad: is there any chance you can measure the switch live on your car? That is the 12V supply that is only live when you have the ignition on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts