Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2006 159 (1.9 JTDM) which has been extremely reliable and a real pleasure to own.
However just over the last couple of weeks have noticed a couple of strange faults - has on a couple of occassions refused to rev at slow speeds and then after a couple of seconds has then revved ok, I have since noticed that when accelerating out of roundabouts in third it has also bogged down and even though foot flat on accelerator has not picked up.

Today the check engine light has come on which is now very worrying - has anyone else had this occurr or any suggestions or ideas before I visit my Alfa Dealer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
When mine (2.4 JTDm) did this recently recently, it proved to be the infamous sticky EGR valve. Would imagine the 1.9 can be similarly afflicted as this problem isn't confined to one make or model and seems to occur in a lot of modern diesels at some point in their life, :(.

Oh, and welcome to AO by the way, :thumbs: - just a pity that your first post had to be about a problem.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
EGR valve which IIRC can be taken out & cleaned (de-coked).

Have you tried an Italian tune up (thrash it within an inch of its life after filling it with super diesel and a fuel system cleaner)?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
EGR Valve for sure - get it sorted under warranty....another [email protected] piece of legislation to save the planet that just clogs cars up....green loonies wrecking cars !

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep - i think its probably the EGR valve, but when its back at the dealers, get them to do the 3 hour service news check to ensure its not a problem with the head! Better get this sorted prior to the warranty running out, as the bill for mine was over 2K! See my previous post on "Potential problems with 2.4 JTDm Head"

·
Registered
8 Posts
This just happened to mine yesterday and has gone in for repair. Checked everything out that was suggested from previous posts but didn't solve it. I will tell you the news on mine tomorrow when it comes back from the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firstly I would like to thank everyone who responded.
It looks as though the dealer will advise what is wrong and will attempt to get this booked in today and will let you guys know how this went.:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
sticky EGR for sure. I managed to correct this problem myself by a nice 100 mile journey flooring it. When the car went into LIMP mode i just turned the engine off then restarted after a minute and continued flooring it. On the return journey the next day the light was gone ;)

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Mine did this a couple of times over the weekend - but only when cold. However today, I went out and it cut out and it would not restart - the engine would idle smoothly for a moment and then just cut itself dead. Eventually after trying for ten minutes or so it started and ran fine. Then it did it again so its going to go in to be fixed. What concerns me is that it's only done 16000 miles and I do run it on BP ultimate and Millers. Still, we'll see what the experts come up with

1 - 11 of 11 Posts