Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just want to know if this Q-Tronic behaviour is normal, so any input is appreaciated.

For example if I'm running 1st gear, and switches to 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd looks like it switches to 3rd gear but rotation fluctuates seems is the engine not engaged to gear box and, it's like manual gearbox spin, and at same time it is different, speed increases.

Then after it rotation drops and it seems the 3rd is engaged, and rotation turn up gradually normally.

Only happens on 2nd -> 3rd.

It should be a problem or it's a normal gearbox lockup funcion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are you familiar with automatic transmissions? I'm only asking as some countries are predominantly manual transmission in their cars so you may not have had much driving experience with automatics and how they feel when they are both working properly, and not working properly.

It sounds like that it might be slipping or flaring which indicates gearbox trouble.

I'm guessing you put it in 'D' and drive off at a fairly standard pace and the car changes through the gears but appears to have trouble from 2nd to 3rd? Does it vary depending if you are going uphill or on the flat?

What sort of mileage has the car done? Is there any evidence of gearbox work, such as fluid replacements or overhauls/rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My Q tronic goes through the gears without any difference in how it changes from gear to gear. The only thing I have noticed is that it refuses to go into 6th in manual unless I am doing at least 50mph/80kmh. Having said that the Q tronic changes gear so well that I seldom use the manual option

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would suggest you get the transmission oil changed, as the Aisin Transmission it supposedly sealed for life, which is ridiculous. They need to have the fluid changed every 50,000 - 60,000 kms as they have no internal filters and all the crud that builds up eventually starts to gum up the valve body assembly.

When this happens you start to get problems like you are describing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It might be on it's way out and require some sort of rebuild. Automatic transmissions generally have 150,000kms before they start having some trouble if they have not been regularly serviced. A regularly serviced automatic transmission should be able to last a bit longer than that before needing work. Of course it depends on how it is driven, towing, mountains etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I found, that's normal. Up to 50 km/h, the transmission works with slip. At 50 km/h, the lock is activated and the transmission is permanently attached to the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts