Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Alfa buds, Just sold my GT V6 and brought an 08 Alfa 159 jtdm. Cracking car and loving the economy over my old thirsty V6!!

The car has previously been owned by a chain smoking over stressed salesrep I guess and the aircon stinks of ciggy smoke.

The interior of the car has been extensively cleaned and I suspect valeted also but as soon as you get in or put the heater on the smell is noticable.

I've seen a couple of links for a foam cleaner which is sprayed either down the air vents or by drilling a hole into the ducting between the motor and evaporator. Any advise ??

I've tried the crappy carplan citrus bomb but this just soaked everywhere I left my cleaning the car once more :(

Is is possible to remove trim to get to the evaporator to clean it manual rather than pot luck with foam ?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

My car has leather seats and I've also fitted a new pollen filter (old one looked pretty black)
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks v-kash.
Yes sorry I should put I have leather seats. Also I've fitted new floor mats incase theses were smelly too.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Sounds like it needs 'fogging', pro detailers should have the equipment for it although not had it done before myself

·
Registered
304 Posts
Chris there is a fair chance most of the smell is coming from the roof lining. Might be work spraying some Dettol disinfectant spray over it a few times. A neighbour had a cigarette in my garage a couple of weeks back and the next day it reeked of that dead smell you get. The Dettol spray got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
i'd also change the pollen filter as if the air con has been on re-circulation then that will stink. easy 10 min job to do :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
+1 With the pollen filter, give the new one a spray with aftershave before fitting it.
Fabreze is good at getting rid of smells, give the carpets and roof lining a good spray with it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. I'm going to see how easy it is to get to the evaporator. Drove to work this morning and put the heater on for the last 10 minutes. The focus of the smell comes from the air vent's so I'm guess the evaporator is harboring the germs, bugs and stinks!!!....Time to get inverted and have a mooch under the gloovebox! Failing that I'm ordering a face mask :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive not tried it, but apparently if you leave a box of fresh cut grass on the back seat for a couple of days it absorbs fag smoke odour. Where you get grass cuttings at this time of year Ill leave to you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts