Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
as like the most 159, Brera, Spider owners I did a PU update, did the whole front side (Uper wishbone, Lower wishbone (lower bushing marked with number 3 on the first picture), Anti roll bar). The upgrade is fantastic, also I eliminated all squeaks that I occasionally had. Now I would like to adress the sequent problem, whitch is reflected in squeaking and weakening of two remaining bushings on the lower wishhbone (picture 1 [marked with numbers 1,2]). Lets recapitualte: we upgraded the lower, lower wishbone bushing with a PU one whitch is more rigid than a original rubber one, now we have more stress on the uper lower wishbone bushing, whitch is still from rubber. Te resoult is that we will be changing the mentioned non PU, original bushings (marked on the fisrt picture with 1,2) quite offten, (ofc if We want absolute non squeak ,as well as a flawless operation). There are a few of manifactures that produce the mentioned bushings (1,2), just to mention few: Bilsthein, SWAG ... but there are no PU ones, and I think that the PU bushings (1,2) would round the whole experience of upgrading the Suspension with PU bushings. Also I would like to get Neds insight on this metter, as well as option of making this remaining 2 bushings from PU.

Cheers :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Old Engineer and Sizewell to the forum...........................................................................................................:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Old Engineer and Sizewell to the forum...........................................................................................................:biglaugh:
But you know I wouldn't take out the compliance of rubber and replace it with plastic. The high frequency absorption would disappear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
But you know I wouldn't take out the compliance of rubber and replace it with plastic. The high frequency absorption would disappear.
Actualy, when I PUed my Alfa felt more confortable, regardless PU bushing are more rigid, I think the reason for that is that now the PUed bushings activate the rest of suspension components more quicker, especially the shocks. Now I cant discus about the high frequency absorption, but my first thought is that its carried on other chassis components. As I mentioned in the first post it just is logic to PU the rest of lower wishbone, as we did with the uper one. Because the now the PU bushings does not squeak, the rubber one,s do. Also i think that with the upgrade of the rest of lower wishbone busings, the 159,Brera,Spider would be eaven more precise, as in corners as on braking. And lets just mention the lifetime warranty on PU bushings. Lets spend our time by driving our precious cars, and not vaste it by driving it to the mechanic so often. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wrote to all that I know of, PU bushings manufactuers, POWERFLEX responded and they showed interest in making the bushes, but if I got it writte Ned`s word is the one whitch count. So Ned help us out ^^. In a meanwhile I ordered the bilstein OEM replacement bushings, Old Engineer should be pleased ^^. Now I have a question about the instalation of theOEM bushings> I can`t see any other way but to press in the new bushing in the place, buy using a hidraulic press will we damage the bushing itself ...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New parts arrived. Any news on PU equivalents, Ned >?
Update. It seames that is near impossible to get the new bushing in the lower wishbone, due to the luck of space. Is there anyone who did the lower wishbone bushing replacement >? In any case my mechanic, and 4 other that I went to think it is impossible ...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts