Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Very frustrating issue here - my Alfa key (yes, just the one that I have!) all of a sudden won't lock the car. It unlocks fine (if you use the manual part of the key to lock the car in the driver's door).

The boot release on the key won't work either. :-(

I've just replaced the battery in the key but there is no change.:censored:

Is there anything I can be checking / attempting to fix?

Very odd problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - have disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected and tried again. No joy.

I don't believe it but now the heater display has stopped working! I don't believe it. What could have possibly gone wrong!? Everything else is OK.

Is there a fuse or something else I can check?

Please tell me I don't need to get a new heater control panel! Would imagine that would be a world of pain to change.

Not having a good Monday! :furious:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update again - heater display has fixed itself!

Key lock and boot works from the remote but you have to hold the buttons down for a few seconds before they do anything. Very, very odd.

Unlock still works as normal.

Monza Sport said my key needs re-programming and wanted to relieve me of £50 to try and fix it. Not sure I have £50 to waste at the moment.

Any ideas!?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know you said you replaced the battery but maybe the new battery was faulty or dead. If it works by holding it down for a few seconds makes me think everything is ok. Try from varied distances.

If it only works up close its the battery.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Yeh, or the other possibility is the actual buttons on the fob have an issue, perhaps moisture in them? (Often the case with my tv remove with a toddler round!)
Try leaving it (the key, not the car :) ) in a jar of rice overnight to help remove any moisture.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery was brand new, out of the packet. Duracell.

It's only the lock and boot release buttons that do this and the key is always kept in the dry. May try squirting a bit of electrical contact cleaner into it. Just a tad annoying and completely out of the blue. A weird one and not a problem I can find/research anywhere else!

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
I suspect one of the components on the remote pcb is starting to fail. So the remote isn't transmitting on a stable frequency when your holding the button down its fluctuating until it hits the 433mhz range. If you want it checking over send me a pm. Not sure where you are but if Monza is local to you i'm not that far from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts