Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I red a lots of threds about the 159 key, bust still have not finde the answer:

Is it possible do detach the metal key from its plastic body ?

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Yes you can there is a small roll pin that holds it in place. You need to pull it out. I use a piece of stiff wire that fits snugly in the center of the roll pin. Put a tiny bit of super glue on the wire slip it into the roll pin and give it plenty of time to set. Then pull it out and the blade is free.

·
Registered
237 Posts
159 key

Thanks Cromwell

I'm looking into resolving exactly this problem at the moment. I'll have a crack at this over the next couple of weeks with the method you've described.

Alternatively, I'll drill out the pin and free the metal key that way.

rancid

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
I had 50 of these to do at one point tried drilling them out and screwing a fine screw into them to pull them out with. But the piece of wire and a dab of super glue was by far the easiest.
I used I wire split ring like you keep your keys on with a bit straightened out. Then you still have a loop to give it a pull with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wow

that was extra helpfull I\ll post some images. Cheers :thumbs:

So here is what u need:

1. Super glue
2. a wire that can enter the key pin, be shure that is from some strong material, it is roughly around 1mm (i used a keychain wire)
3. Some pliers

• First aplay some super glue on the wire, (if the wire diametar is a bit smaller than a pins hole, u can band it a little at the middle, pins overall lenght is 1.4cm, so the best part to bend the wire would be somwhere around 7mm, this way the contact betweene the wire and the pin will be stronger).

• Insert the wire in the pin, and let the glue set for a min, or a couple of seconds :lol:

• Now just pull out the pin, with some pilers or if you did like me u can pull it by hand.

• Pull down the metal key

Job Done

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
You'll struggle to find new cases for these your best bet is to find a good condition second hand one and pinch the case from it. I used to be able to get hold of them but they don't seem to be available any more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
159 key dissasemble

Thanks guys that's incredibly helpful, I'll try it this weekend.

In terms of finding a spare key case, I just setup a saved search on ebay and got hold of one in just a couple of weeks, although I paid more than I wanted.

This means I'll have a completely spare key body (in very good condition) and a manky re-sprayed silver part too, if anyone needs it?

Rancid...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts