Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Alfa 159 2006 2.2 JTS Petrol.

The key needs replacing and my mechanic has found a way for £450

The oil sensors have gone and it's just cost £100 to have them turned off to stop the car from being affected.

There's an oil leak which is going to cost £650 apparently to fix but need.to talk to other mechanics.

So all together I'm looking at about £1k + and that's just the key and leak not even the sensors replaced.

My mechanic doesn't like Alfas as he said they're hard to work with. Am I dealing with an expensive mechanic, should I be worried? Should I get a different car. I really love this car tho.

You guys have Alfa 159's. Desperately and asap need advice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why would you pay money to hide a problem rather than just put it towards getting it fixed?! If you like it and are prepared to pay the costs to keep it running then keep it, but I’d definitely find a new mechanic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you pay money to hide a problem rather than just put it towards getting it fixed?! If you like it and are prepared to pay the costs to keep it running then keep it, but I’d definitely find a new mechanic...

I didn't ask for him to hide it. This was his way of fixing it. But I totally agree. Getting a new mechanic is happening this week. Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
I didn't ask for him to hide it. This was his way of fixing it. But I totally agree. Getting a new mechanic is happening this week. Thanks
Just based on what you’ve said he sounds very dodgy. He didn’t even fix it and still had the cheek to charge you for it?! His comments suggest he has little interest in carrying out any of the repairs. As I say if you like the car and want to keep it take it to someone who knows what they’re doing and are happy to take on the work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nothing worse than a mechanic that makes you feel like he's doing you a favour by allowing you to pay him to work on your car.

I recently called an Alfa dealer that was closer to home than my usual garage, and the guy I spoke to reacted like I'd asked him to paint my house with a toothbrush. Screw that. Back to the other crowd who make not have the cleanest shop floor but take cash, make no fuss and give you car back fixed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not a bad car. It looks amazing (unique even), drives very well, it's comfortable, quiet, very safe (5* ncap) and it's even quite reliable (certainly by alfa standards - thanks GM). Lusso or TI trim you're also getting leather, cruise control, parking sensors etc. Upgrade the head unit for a few hundred to an android/carplay touchscreen and you have a very nice car with most modern features.

However, watch out for: rust on the front subframe - they're guaranteed to go unless treated and that's expensive. The gearbox is pants, the M32, they all go sooner or later, again, that's expensive (listen for a whine in the higher gears that doesn't go away when you depress the clutch). The tyres are odd sizes and therefore relatively expensive too. The timing chains have a habit of stretching (you'll get a warning light or a code), again expensive, change the oil every 6 months to avoid this and also to clean the engine out a bit over time as the intervals were long and at that age it's probably a bit gunky (i'd advise against a flush though). The steering has a known issue as well, you can look that one up on the forum. The aerial tends to corrode and the factory alignment eats front tyres. I could go on...

I'm not going to pretend it hasn't got issues, but actually, most cars have problems, pick any BMW etc. of the same age and have a nose about on the forums, you will come across a whole host of issues on most cars of the era, they have all been around long enough for them to manifest and as "premium" brands parts (and indirectly labour) tend to be expensive. The 159 probably has a few more issues than most in all fairness, but on the other hand it does have a very knowledgable online community and some excellent mechanics, lots of parts for the engine can be had from GM significantly cheaper, and some fixes can be cheaply DIY'd with few tools and experience.

I am very very fond of mine but I fully admit that it's not particularly sensible. I could get more or less the same performance and spec level with a third of the maintenance cost and significantly better fuel economy from a different car. Do I want to? No.

If you tell us where you're based someone may be able to recommend a good garage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nothing worse than a mechanic that makes you feel like he's doing you a favour by allowing you to pay him to work on your car.

I recently called an Alfa dealer that was closer to home than my usual garage, and the guy I spoke to reacted like I'd asked him to paint my house with a toothbrush. Screw that. Back to the other crowd who make not have the cleanest shop floor but take cash, make no fuss and give you car back fixed.
This. Same with plumbers, electricans etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If he says he doesn't like Alfas I definitely wouldn't be using him as he won't be interested in doing a good job and will be likely to rush through it in order to get it out of the way!
Better to find someone who is actually interested in the car as they'll want to see it on the road and in good health!
If you like the car it's worth spending money on it to keep it going - what else could you buy for the money you'd spend fixing this one and what would be wrong with it? At least you know what you've got with this one!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
i wouldn't have alfas if it wasn't for my local indy. he's an alfa man, trustworthy and tells you like it is. i've been driving them and making them shiny for 13 years, he does the oily bit. wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not a bad car. It looks amazing (unique even), drives very well, it's comfortable, quiet, very safe (5* ncap) and it's even quite reliable (certainly by alfa standards - thanks GM). Lusso or TI trim you're also getting leather, cruise control, parking sensors etc. Upgrade the head unit for a few hundred to an android/carplay touchscreen and you have a very nice car with most modern features.

However, watch out for: rust on the front subframe - they're guaranteed to go unless treated and that's expensive. The gearbox is pants, the M32, they all go sooner or later, again, that's expensive (listen for a whine in the higher gears that doesn't go away when you depress the clutch). The tyres are odd sizes and therefore relatively expensive too. The timing chains have a habit of stretching (you'll get a warning light or a code), again expensive, change the oil every 6 months to avoid this and also to clean the engine out a bit over time as the intervals were long and at that age it's probably a bit gunky (i'd advise against a flush though). The steering has a known issue as well, you can look that one up on the forum. The aerial tends to corrode and the factory alignment eats front tyres. I could go on...

I'm not going to pretend it hasn't got issues, but actually, most cars have problems, pick any BMW etc. of the same age and have a nose about on the forums, you will come across a whole host of issues on most cars of the era, they have all been around long enough for them to manifest and as "premium" brands parts (and indirectly labour) tend to be expensive. The 159 probably has a few more issues than most in all fairness, but on the other hand it does have a very knowledgable online community and some excellent mechanics, lots of parts for the engine can be had from GM significantly cheaper, and some fixes can be cheaply DIY'd with few tools and experience.

I am very very fond of mine but I fully admit that it's not particularly sensible. I could get more or less the same performance and spec level with a third of the maintenance cost and significantly better fuel economy from a different car. Do I want to? No.

If you tell us where you're based someone may be able to recommend a good garage.
North west London

And thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Any car bought at 13 years old, is likely to have some unresolved issues. Living in Switzerland, I rarely meet mechanics who are scared of or don't like working on Alfas, although I used to meet that kind of response often in the UK. I'm not convinced they're especially difficult unless you're pulling the engine to bits. I have a 1995 Jaguar XJR which seems to be much more problematic than my 2000 Alfa GTV 3.0. I think your mechanic is either 1) not great, 2) just doesn't know Alfas, or 3) is preparing you for pumped up bills. Get someone who knows Alfas. I don't know where you are, but I had a good experience with Autolusso at Bournemouth. The owner is called Lawrence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, Any car bought at 13 years old, is likely to have some unresolved issues. Living in Switzerland, I rarely meet mechanics who are scared of or don't like working on Alfas, although I used to meet that kind of response often in the UK. I'm not convinced they're especially difficult unless you're pulling the engine to bits. I have a 1995 Jaguar XJR which seems to be much more problematic than my 2000 Alfa GTV 3.0. I think your mechanic is either 1) not great, 2) just doesn't know Alfas, or 3) is preparing you for pumped up bills. Get someone who knows Alfas. I don't know where you are, but I had a good experience with Autolusso at Bournemouth. The owner is called Lawrence.
Thanks and to be honest it's just a case of a long day at work for my mechanic to fix it so he is pretending to me the car isnt worth it but it turns out the problems he said such as clutch issue isn't even a real issue. As it has a new clutch and just said that as a blatant lie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts