Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfa 159 Front end rattling (Actually Rear-End?)

See below for updated thread.

Turns out it might be a rear-end rattling and not front-end.

See vids below.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that ken, I've bounced the car with the bonnet open, although not actually bounced the engine, I reckon gearbox could have a bolt loose aswell. I dont have a good enough jack to test that out myself though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the idea :byebye:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small update.

Got a fello Alfisti who drives a 159 to sit in my car whilst I tried to replicate the problems.

Low and bloody behold, I could not, for love nor money makes the noises again and this was after I spent 10 minutes alone replicating the noises and convinced enough to invite him in without looking mad, note - I rarely have a second passenger, but by A and B'ing it, I noted the car was much more 'planted' and solid with more weight in it, the knocking noises completely disappeared. With just me in the car it felt as if there was nothing seating it in so to speak, nothing to weigh it down giving too much movement in some of the joints perhaps.

Very frustrating, but my friend said my car sounded and felt alot smoother than his so that helped my pride somewhat.

The only way to describe it in real terms was when alone, in first gear, I could tap the accelerator and make the car hop forward like as if I was to stall the car i.e kangaroo'ing it, the squeaks, knocks, clunks e.t.c where very apparent. But with a passenger, there was more weight and I could not hop forward it just moved forward normally without the front end rocking forwards and back with just me in it. :S

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again all,

Still trying to diagnose the front-end rattling which is becoming unbearable now, every rough surface or bump is bringing it on.

Personally I think it may be the following:

ARB bushes
Radiator mountings loose
Drop Links

This is only because a few others have been ruled out and its not a 'clonking sound' but a metallic rattling, as if its hitting loose stainless steel or a light metal over and over again on a rebound until it stabilizes.

If I'm not mistaken, the sub-frame has to be dropped to get at the ARB? Also can the drop links be swapped over relatively easily or is that a sub-frame removal job too as I don't know the anatomy of the 159 that well?

In addition my steering wheel is making a strange ticking sound however only when turned and not at full lock, sounds like something is loose inside the steering wheel airbag and not down the rack? It squeaks a bit on turning too.

The picture below shows a few areas highlighted, the centre ring actually makes a very similar rattling sound if I touch it / move it with my fingers as its a bit loose, can't image that small thing can make the noise I'm hearing, but you never know. The rattling comes from both sides, sometimes together, sometimes separately.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Would you describe it as 'large long cable' rattling on bulkhead? Does it only do it over a series of bumps and not on one drain cover?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmmm hard to say, it definitely does it always on the bigger pot holes, sometimes it might not make a noise though for one bump, then continue to rattle for the next couple.

When I have the window open its almost as if its coming from the inside wheel arches, both sides.

What are you suggesting it might be?

I'll upload a small video with the noise, albeit it is on a phone.

About the middle of the clip I go over a speed bump, interesting that it rattles when going over with the front wheels and also the rears.

Its funny because from this clip it sounds like its also coming from the rear, the only loose thing on the rear end that I know makes a slight noise are the near bumper fenders that are loose both sides, but thats more of a loose plastic hollow noise and only when you tap on them.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
That's a video from the outside and my noise is in the cabin. The front wheel sounds like a knock and not a rattle and it only happens once at each deflection. So probably front ball joints on the wishbones.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh yeah its not a knock, more a rattle.

I think I may have found the source though:

Under the Radiator, any ideas what might be loose?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I doubt you will hear that in the cabin. The outside video is slightly misleading.
If the rattle sounds like it's coming from the left hand side dash then I have the cure. The expansion bottle on the bulkhead is poorly mounted. As the car ages the lower 'clip' starts to bend back making the bottle looser. The bottle is already on a 'flexible' part of the bulkhead. If you go over one single bump the bottle just deflects and you don't hear anything. But if you hit a couple of bumps in quick succession it sets up a vibration in the bottle. This affects the large wiring loom under the scuttle beside the wiper mechanism.

So to fix it you need to pack the wiring loom with foam and try to make the bottle more rigid.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah this is definitely sounds like a rattle from the outside with the window open, from the inside, more of a dim bump.

It's getting pretty awful to drive at the moment, every uneven surface is bringing it on, makes driving quite unpleasant really. Going to take it in again at the end of the month and do what ever is required to get this and the steering wheel sorted. Issues are piling up now, I need to sort this to move onto the next otherwise it'll just build up to the point where I'd rather not have the car anymore and that's a shame because I have plans for it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I might have narrowed it down with this last vid.

Turns out in might not be the front, but the REAR. Was looking in the wrong place all along.

I think its the long strut / ARB? That runs across the rear in front of the exhausts.

This has been getting progressively worse since about November so before any other mods / work had been carried out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only way to describe it in real terms was when alone, in first gear, I could tap the accelerator and make the car hop forward like as if I was to stall the car i.e kangaroo'ing it, the squeaks, knocks, clunks e.t.c where very apparent. :S
I had a similar issue when tapping the accelerator I would hear a clonk. The clonk was also very apparent on uneven roads, not so much pot holes. Drove me mad for 2 years.

I had the following replaced in an attempt to resolve this issue:

upper arms (cheap ones)
bilstein front shocks
powerflex ARB bushes
powerflex lower arm bushes
droplinks

And still didn't resolve this knocking. I was so fed up, I took it to Ned at Autolusso and within 10 minutes, he said it was the cheap upper arms. He replaced them for decent ones and now car is silent.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks mate, I could afford new front upper wishbones if the fix at the rear end is cheap i.e bushes or drop links as I have a few other things I'd like doing aswell. That been said its not fun spending money on something that isn't the cause of the problem and doesn't fix it.

Out of interest how much did you pay for your front uppers?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Ned at Autolusso done them in the end. I paid £300 all in. Think he put TRW arms on it at £80ea + 2 hours labour :thinking:.

Off the top of my head that is, don't quote me :nervous:
That sounds very reasonable. That said they 'look' relatively easy to change (famous last words :lol:)

Reactions: mattdeluca

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you'll be seeing me down there again soon Ned for the monthly visit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts