Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
tonight when tried to get into the car I noticed the outside door handle came all the way up very easy with no tension and did not open the door. Central locking is working and I can open the door from the inside it's just the outside handle.
has anyone experienced the same problem ? is it an easy fix ?
please help...thank you

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi

I had exactly this on a previous car, most probably a linkage rod popped out of its plastic holder or the holder has cracked.

If you are taking the door card off to investigate then I would recommend buying door trim removal tool.

Think Halfords sell a "universal" tool - machine mart do better kit with individual different tools for the job.

Best

matt - brighton

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
took it to the garage ... the problem is the cable from the exterior door handle to the lock has snapped.Original part coming from Italy,should have it by friday only 15£. thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
took it to the garage ... the problem is the cable from the exterior door handle to the lock has snapped.Original part coming from Italy,should have it by friday only 15£. thank you
This news pleases me.

I have the exact same problem but the dealer said that I couldn't buy the cable on it's own.
I have to buy the full handle (which includes the cable) for over a hundred quid.

Could you tell me where you got your ordered from, cos I'll do the same.:thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got exactly the same problem on my 159. I too would like the part number and where to get a cable from. Also, what is the least painful way of changing it? Looks a bit of a pig. What's the best method of getting to the end of the cable at the exterior door handle end? Do you have to remove the handle? How? Managed to get the centre and rear retaining nuts off, but the forward one is behind the window glass(in the up position). Do you have to drop the glass down? Though I'd better ask as I don't want to mess things up big time. Then I had to put it back together so my wife could use the car tomorrow! Have to open the windows with the remote to get in.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I've got exactly the same problem on my 159. I too would like the part number and where to get a cable from. Also, what is the least painful way of changing it? Looks a bit of a pig. What's the best method of getting to the end of the cable at the exterior door handle end? Do you have to remove the handle? How? Managed to get the centre and rear retaining nuts off, but the forward one is behind the window glass(in the up position). Do you have to drop the glass down? Though I'd better ask as I don't want to mess things up big time. Then I had to put it back together so my wife could use the car tomorrow! Have to open the windows with the remote to get in.
Ah, the real reason why Alfa allow you to lower the windows with the fob!!! Genius!

·
Registered
113 Posts
It will be as above broken door rod. Fairly easy job to change the rod. The hard bit it knowing how to remove the inner door cover correctly.
It's definitely the cable that goes from the external handle to the door lock mechanism that it broken. I've had the door inner panel off and confirm it. It's a bowden cable approx 10 inches long. Easy enough to detach it from the door lock, but the other end is a bit more difficult. Is the cable available as a spare part?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's definitely the cable that goes from the external handle to the door lock mechanism that it broken. I've had the door inner panel off and confirm it. It's a bowden cable approx 10 inches long. Easy enough to detach it from the door lock, but the other end is a bit more difficult. Is the cable available as a spare part?
According to a dealer in Ireland, no. According to a dealer in NI, no.

According to ecllipse, yes.
I was quoted either €105 or £105 for a full door handle (including cable) depending which side of the border. So a £15 option would be welcome.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So, on my drivers door (RHD) the cable has snapped where it joins into the door lock mechanism. I can see the frayed cable end where it snapped, through a small access hole when you remove the door card.
It seems that the cable cannot be bought on its own.
My question is, (to anybody that has done the job before) do I need a new door handle or a new door lock mechanism?
I have seen both on ebay that have the cable attached.
EPER shows the handle with the cable attached.

I could remove the inner metal door support to check this out, but I hope to only have to remove it once - when I have the new part and am replacing the old one, as it seems a pig of a job - removing the glass.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got a cable from a 159 in a scrapyard.
Had to take the glass out of my door, and got the inner metal support frame away from the door enough to get my hands into get at the old cable.
Having E-learn was invaluable, butI did not need to take the door lock mechanism and exterior handle out as it had recommended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone i am new to this group.

I have been the owner of a 159 for 6 months now and recently had the drivers door handle come loose as i tried to open. Upon inspection it appears to be the above mentioned bowden cable. Has anyone had any luck sourcing a new cable on its own without the whole handle. I know older post mention italy but cannot find anything online.

Many thanks
Mark

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
Yesterday I could not open my passenger front door. I assumed it was frozen. Later on I noted that I could open it from the inside. On trying the outside there was resistance but it would not open.
I assumed a link had come away/broken (this Alfa has been trying my patience whereas the others never did). Anyway later in the day it was fully functional once more. Self repairing..... I guess in reality it is just the start of the end :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ah, the real reason why Alfa allow you to lower the windows with the fob!!! Genius!
I had a very similar issue years back with an old BMW e39 I had...... The handle snapped in my hand as I tried to open the door...... For around a month I had to open all the windows with the fob first just to open the drivers door...... Very amusing...... But not so much when I had to replace it eventually..... Bit of a pig.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yesterday I could not open my passenger front door. I assumed it was frozen. Later on I noted that I could open it from the inside. On trying the outside there was resistance but it would not open.
I assumed a link had come away/broken (this Alfa has been trying my patience whereas the others never did). Anyway later in the day it was fully functional once more. Self repairing..... I guess in reality it is just the start of the end :lol:
I had this issue, passenger sied rear door, would not open from the ouside, would from the inside, tried locking, unlocking etc, anyway it started working again about 4 hours later. I assumed it was the freezing weather at the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally sorted the problem. No joy from alfa. They only sell it as a part of the complete exterior handle. Here is a picture of the culprit wire. The lower end is snapped off. Sourced one from a scrap yard for £10. Took about 40mins to fit. Also had to remove the glass but was pretty straight forward..

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.