Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Looking for some feedback - have any of you replaced the main front bush on the rear trailing arms with the purple Powerflex poly bush version?
How does the car behave?
Any binding - tyre skip during slow manoeuvres?

thanks for any input you can offer

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The proper rubber bush is held rigidly and 'Squirms' under load to add resistance to movement. I doubt the plastic replacement does the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesh I know it to be a Flexibloc bush - Oil Filled with particular characteristics and if I had all the measurements for it without stripping down I would look to get some prices for replacements - I imagine it’s an off the shelf standard bush size used by the designers of the rear suspension and also on other applications.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I’m sure Sizewell has them fitted. I’m sure he was the one that they used to Guinea pig them for powerflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I’m sure Sizewell has them fitted. I’m sure he was the one that they used to Guinea pig them for powerflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nowt wrong with your memory Clay - how’s the car going?

Yes, Powerflex did a super job. The back - end certainly is better planted than before. But to be fair, my bushes were leaking. But you can’t buy Alfa bushes without the arm.

No squeaking - no squirm. They also produced the small bushes to compliment them.

Cost a lot less than the Differential Bushes which Alfa sold me. Maybe I should have asked them to do a set for the diff.

Whatever, they are a brilliant outfit and so customer focused. They deserve all the credit they get.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The proper rubber bush is held rigidly and 'Squirms' under load to add resistance to movement. I doubt the plastic replacement does the same.
O.E. Has some tremendous experience in this field. And substantially he and I agree on the issues surrounding the “Poly - bushing” of suspension on the 156/147 et al. But their function is somewhat different than on the rear of my Q4, where they are more for location. And the travel is not great, so there is no eek - eek.

The way they hold their location, makes the steering much more predictable - really good. Accepted, my originals had been leaking.bushes.

But that should not detract from what Poly did for me.

You have to buy the whole arm if you want to stay original. I know, I have a brand new one, which was on and off the car as fast a the bushes were designed and manufactured. Which was under a month.

500 quid to you! Only joking, not for sale. But that’s what you will pay Alfa for one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts