Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Read a lot of threads about the android-OEM-look HU from china.
Link at the bottom is the KGL type HU with the OEM look.

For me, a couple of things are still unclear about the dashboard.
As far as I can tell, the dashboard has 2 different opening sizes for the radio/nav+ unit.
The chinese android HU should fit the (blue&me) radio.
Some sellers also have pictures of the NAV+ unit as suitable size...

1. Seems the nav+ head unit is bigger than the radio. (on youtube somebody fitted the head unit in the wrong size:
)
Can anyone confirm this?

2. Is there somebody who fitted the android unit to his 159/brera? Does it also fit the NAV+ unit dashboard trim? Did you change the dashboard trim from NAV+ to a new one?

3. Did anybody have problems connecting the HU? Looks plug and play with all of the supplied connectors.

Link to aliexpress head unit:
(https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Android-7-1-Auto-DVD-SPELER-Voor-Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Alfa-Romeo-159-Brera-159-Sportwagon/32835830186.html?spm=a2g0z.search0104.3.17.18907f4duEJ9Mo&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10084_10083_10618_10304_10615_10307_10301_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_32,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=92c84c5b-c9ad-413c-a161-5f5c393da8dc-2&algo_pvid=92c84c5b-c9ad-413c-a161-5f5c393da8dc&priceBeautifyAB=4)

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you have OEM Sat Nav, I don't think these units will fit, they will sit like the one on the YouTube link you posted.
If you look carefully on the reviews on the AliExpress link you provided, there's some buyers who posted some pics.
On those pics look closely at the dashboard trim between the HU hole and the gauges.

See the red bit I highlighted below on the pic.
That trim belongs to a 159/brera with standard blaupunkt radios non Sat nav.

Sorry if I didn't myself clear, I tried to explain

·
Registered
47 Posts
The android head units will only fit the non-satnav Alfas.

I’m about to have one fitted next week on mine (non satnav) and still looking for the Bose amp adaptor.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have recently (in the last 2 weeks) fitted an Android 7" touch screen into my 159 (non sat nav) dash.
it was hard but not impossible.

I purchased one similar to this (this is not the actual item as the listing was ended by the seller, this listing is for Android 6 and so was mine, but the item turned up as Android 7)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-6-0-Double-DIN-7-Car-Stereo-GPS-Sat-Nav-DAB-WiFi-3G-Radio-Bluetooth/282780608230?hash=item41d709a6e6:g:x7EAAOSwSQFaO4EF

It was a Double Din stereo, but as I have Blue and Me I didn't want to resite the B&M module to under the glovebox so I decided to modify the stereo to fit.
I stripped it down, chopped the side panels in half and cut the back plate in half, re-drilled the GPS antenna hole and viola, the unit is now single din but with 7 inch screen :)

I purchased a standard 159 radio surround, £13.80 off ebay which I had to modify with a Stanley knife and a lot of patience, but it looks good now.

Currently I have the USB ports extended from the back of the unit to hang into the passenger footwell, but I'm going to mount them in the dash eventually.

The wiring was a but of a pain, for some reason the Android unit doesn't understand 4 speakers only stereo which means the fader doesn't work properly (apparently a common Android issue) and the radio app that came pre installed doesn't understand UK RDS.
I haven't sorted the Steering Wheel Controls yet (I'm not fussed about them really but might try to sort them out at some point)

Overall I'm very happy, For about £90 and a few hours of my time, I now have sat nav, and all the Android apps I could want in my car (TV, Spotify, Google etc etc)

Axe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought a 07 sportwagen with non satnav+ unit, so I will be upgrading to the chinese android unit next summer:)

thanks everybody, looks like I lucked out on this one, not having to buy the dashboard trim...

·
Registered
110 Posts
How did you guys go ? Does it work with steering console screen and remote out of the box ? or do I need modificaitons ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the XTrons Alfa 159 specific head unit for my non satnav 159. Really simple install and fits perfectly. Blue and Me still works and all my steering wheel controls work perfectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought the XTrons Alfa 159 specific head unit for my non satnav 159. Really simple install and fits perfectly. Blue and Me still works and all my steering wheel controls work perfectly.
Hi,
Can you please upload some pics of the installed unit?? I'm intrested in fitting one myself. When you say that Blue and Me still works, what do you mean?? Did you connect it to the head unit?? I would appreciate if you could post a link of the head unit that you bought..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had a Pioneer SPH DA230 DAB fitted a couple of weeks ago. I use an iphone but I believe it also works with an Android. I had to pay for a number of extras for it to fit into the dashboard perfectly. The steering wheel controls work well. I have lost the facility to change car set ups on the unit but most still work via the screen in between the speedo and rev counter using the menu button on the stalk. A change well worth doing imo as the original Sat Nav was always rubbish and is now very outdated and clunky. DAB radio and voice control telephone dialing and playing of music from the iphone, as well as having Waze on a decent sized screen are big pluses to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Can you please upload some pics of the installed unit?? I'm intrested in fitting one myself. When you say that Blue and Me still works, what do you mean?? Did you connect it to the head unit?? I would appreciate if you could post a link of the head unit that you bought..

Thanks in advance!
I bought this one: Alfa Romeo | Various | Android 9.0 | Quad Core | 2GB RAM & 16GB ROM | IN79ARAPL

It fits the original cage in the car as well. Its a single din with large screen and the Blue & Me unit can still sit in the bottom half of the cage untouched. Only issue i have come across is that the when the front doors open the display shows the opposite front door is open (not really a deal breaker)
I installed the OBD adapter too and have purchased the DAB+ module (not fitted yet) and Im really tempted by the reversing camera add on once the weather here is warm enough to let me install it.
All phone calls still come through on the dash as i have my phone connected to Blue & Me and media connected to the stereo for streaming. I have installed a 128GB memory card in the stereo and just download tracks over wifi. For reference mine is a non Sat Nav space in the dash, I believe they need a different size unit.

It is the stereo in this video on YT:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought this one: Alfa Romeo | Various | Android 9.0 | Quad Core | 2GB RAM & 16GB ROM | IN79ARAPL

It fits the original cage in the car as well. Its a single din with large screen and the Blue & Me unit can still sit in the bottom half of the cage untouched. Only issue i have come across is that the when the front doors open the display shows the opposite front door is open (not really a deal breaker)
I installed the OBD adapter too and have purchased the DAB+ module (not fitted yet) and Im really tempted by the reversing camera add on once the weather here is warm enough to let me install it.
All phone calls still come through on the dash as i have my phone connected to Blue & Me and media connected to the stereo for streaming. I have installed a 128GB memory card in the stereo and just download tracks over wifi. For reference mine is a non Sat Nav space in the dash, I believe they need a different size unit.

It is the stereo in this video on YT:

View attachment 931976
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! Mine too is a non Sat Nav. Do you listen the person calling you through the speakers of the car and do you talk through the microphone of the android unit?? Or you use car's microphone? I have already ordered reversing camera and wifi transmitter/receiver for the camera, so I don't have to run a cable from behind to the front, all the way to the unit. Check the links below..

I have also installed from the inside of the rear bumper a magnetic parking sensor, bought in my country, without drilling any holes and it does an amazing job!!

One last thing.. does the obd adapter work with the canbus of the car? Which one is it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because calls are routed through the Blue & Me and the stereo replaces the original with no cable changes the audio for calls still uses the car speakers and the original microphone. Just remember to set your mobile phone to connect to Blue & Me for calls ( steering wheel buttons still work to answer calls). You can stream over bluetooth if you want but because it has Google Play Store access i just download Amazon Music and Spotify onto it. I can create a mobile hotspot with my phone and connect to it if i want to have live traffic for Google Maps and to stream DAB over TuneIn Radio App. Ive still got to install the DAB aerial....

Im fortunate mine comes with Parking sensors already, the stereo cuts straight to a reversing camera feed when i put the car in reverse so it would be nice to see whats behind me as i do it. Definitely look at the wireless one!! Didnt realise they existed. Thank you.

I bought the Xtrons ODB adapter and its working perfectly over bluetooth to the stereo. OBD2 II Scanner Tool | OBD02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply! Mine too is a non Sat Nav. Do you listen the person calling you through the speakers of the car and do you talk through the microphone of the android unit?? Or you use car's microphone? I have already ordered reversing camera and wifi transmitter/receiver for the camera, so I don't have to run a cable from behind to the front, all the way to the unit. Check the links below..

I have also installed from the inside of the rear bumper a magnetic parking sensor, bought in my country, without drilling any holes and it does an amazing job!!

One last thing.. does the obd adapter work with the canbus of the car? Which one is it??
I took a better picture today too

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sits nicely in the dashboard! I will look at the Xtrons OBD, because I have one that it works perfectly with the car, but it's too long and I can't close the trim, so I'll have to look for a shorter one..

Thank you for the photos and for all the info that you provided!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts