Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Annoying issue, I was just finishing working on the car when I went to shut the bonnet, dropped it from half height and as it landed I heard a snap. Turns out somehow the catch may not have been properly in place and has snapped the release catch almost completely off, luckily I can still open it, but it's an annoying issue notheless.

What's the best way to rectify this, it's only the plastic extended tab so to speak, not the entire mechanism at fault. Mine was pretty stubborn to open sometimes though so the plastic wasn't going to always be up to the task.

I've seen full bonnet catches on google for £70, but ideally I'm looking for a cheaper fix. And steel catches? Or can I make an alternate bonnet release with cable on the latch pulling from one side?

Cheers,
Joe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd be interested in this too actually, closed mine about 6 months ago a little spiritedly (Ironically fuelled by something else that had broken in the engine bay!) and the same thing happened - large tab snapped off but I can still pull up the arm bit.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd be interested in this too actually, closed mine about 6 months ago a little spiritedly (Ironically fuelled by something else that had broken in the engine bay!) and the same thing happened - large tab snapped off but I can still pull up the arm bit.
Subscribing to this one - mine's exactly as yours, but it was like that when I bought it - I'm not that heavy handed :)yes:)

The bold bit :cheese:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Replaced mine with the earlier type when this happened. The earlier type extends a 'tongue' to pull for opening. A bit difficult to replace because the alarm lead (which it comes with) runs towards the left hand headlight and you have to lever the grille to get your fingers on the connector.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's different to mine even though mines an 07 plate. It always seemed a bit flimsy though, still a fair amount of money for a bit of plastic really. I take it this would be a bumper off jobbie?

Also on a side note, would anyone know of a source to buy the T27 Torx bolts that hold the bumper to the chassis? I've seen loads from the US, but not the UK as mine are really rusty atm, haven't found any stainless steel ones which would be ideal - or if not possible, is there a similar design of bolt but with a different head? I bought loads of M6 bolts but they are all either not flat enough or the screw head isnt' wide enough to hold the bumper on.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts