Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have observed on my vehicle, that one of the xenon lights does not behave as it should in sense that when I turn them on, they both align correctly, but the shutter is always open and the headlight works as it is on main beam permanently.

This problem I have only on the right side.(my steering wheel is on left side, so the headlight is the slave one.)

Does anyone know or encountered this problem?

Does anyone know how the shutter mechanism looks inside?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
on my Giulietta i had one where the shutter wouldn't go up if I switched to main beam. replaced under warranty, so can't help further.

if the shutter stays up however I suspect there's either a shortcircuit in the headlight or the shutter is stuck. I don't know if the hid ecu hasanything to do with it, but suspect not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will remove the headlight and tear it down to repair the shutter.

My believe is also that it got stuck, or it has a missing resort or something that is relatively easy to fix once you dismounted half of car:))...

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem solved, topic can be closed.

The problem was the solenoid that opens the shutter had some dust or something on the piston and remained stuk on ON position.

After removing the mechanism from the headlight and tear it down, it now works well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've noticed mine can be a bit slow coming off main beam, I might have a look at the solenoids thanks for bringing this up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but I'm a newbie to this site, Alfas and cars with "bells & whistles" (the trifecta!) but can the factory lamps be upgraded to Bi-Xenon?
I have a recently purchased 159 JTD Ti (2.4).
Thanks

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
depends how far you want to go. if you want the auto levelling it might be an enourmous task. if you justwant the lights and regulate the level from inside it's fairly simple.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but I'm a newbie to this site, Alfas and cars with "bells & whistles" (the trifecta!) but can the factory lamps be upgraded to Bi-Xenon?
I have a recently purchased 159 JTD Ti (2.4).
Thanks

You can buy aftermarket Xenon's which don't require the head lamp washers, I had these installed on my 159 and Brera, it's worth the extra few quid!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok thanks.
So do you need whole new lamp housings or just globes?
Are auto levellers particular to Bi-Xenon or just another additional feature on higher end on some cars?
You mention Bi-Xenon that do not require washers. Why do Bi-Xenon require washers? Something to do with build up of muck on lamp and generate by globe?
Thanks again

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
if you have factory fitted xenons (in the uk) you need auto levelling and headlamp washers to reduce the chance of blinding glare. but if you fit xenons afterwards, these are not required. this includes fitting the bi-xenon headlamps from another car.

Over here, aftermarket xenons are illegal for street use, unless you fit headlampwashersand auto levelling, and don't have excessive glare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts