Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I just purchased my first Alfa Romeo she is lovely! I was told that this engine was the same as the vauxhall cdti 150, of which i have owned 2, one in a signum 2006 and the other in a zafira cdti 150 2006 in the latter I had the dreaded swirl vlave issue! I repaired mine using the numberplate screw caps and areldite suggested on a forum it lasted 12 months then i traded the car in monday. had done 14,000 since the repair took under an hour and ovenight drying of the glue. Cost under a £10 including the glue.

To my point I took the cover off the alfa and found it has not got the same inlet manifold and there are no swirl valves fitted ?? have they been removed on later models ?

I must say too that as my last 2 cars were both chipped using a deiseltuner uk plug in ( the same one) it worked well. the Zafira I later had remmapped and the dpf software removed to stop it regenerating. The brick thingy was removed too. it ran better! but smoked on start up for 10 secs and then you could see soot on hard acceleration comimg from the exhaust but performed real well with no issues. mpg on that was 48- 50 average.

so what engine do i have ?? if it has no swirl valves ??

thank you ?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I couldnt say for definate if the later cars do have them but I'm pretty sure they do Unless you have a 120 bhp 8 valve engine it should have exactly the same manifold as the vauxhall.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yes I know what I am looking for as i had the rod off and glued on the caps before replacing the rod ie. just as in your pic the engine seems the same twin cam design it has a black plastic inlet manifold not an ally one like on the signum and zafira, it has the same EGR valve on the back of the inlet manifold.

The log book says its a 150 model does the 8 valve still run a twin cam head ?

also it was sold as a 1.9 jtdm 16v 148 bhp? have owned it only 5 days.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would look again if I were you. Alfa started stickiing the flaps in after 2005/2006.

Look again. If you cannot find them, keep looking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked again lol!

Hi Thanks for the responces, on the Zafira and signum it is right next to the glow plugs which I removed when I refitted the modified end caps from the post on vauxhall forum.

THE INLET MANIFOLD IS NOT THE SAME AS TH LAST 2 CDTI 150 ENGINES I HAVE HAD.!
THATS WHY I AM ASKING OTHER OWNERS FOR HELP, I KNOW WHAT SWIRL VALVES ARE. WHAT THEY DO AND HOW MUCH THE REPAIR COSTS AT A DEALERS AND THE CHEAP FIXES.AND THAT A COMPETENT DIY'R CAN FIT A NEW MANIFOLD!

SO PLEASE NO MORE LOOK AGAIN POSTS LOL. I WILL POST A PIC LATER, I THINK THATS BEST OPTION.

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THE UK DIDNT GET THE 8V ENGINE ?? WE ONLY GOT 16V! THIS ENGINE HAS THE SAME HEAD AS THE TO VAUXHALLS SAME INJECTORS, GLOW PLUGS LOOK THE SAME THE MAIN DIFERENCE IS THIS MODEL HAS A VARIABLE GEOMETRY TURBO.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE A BLACK WHAT LOOKS LIKE PLASTIC PLENUM CHAMBER WITH A ALLY INLET MANIFOLD ?

MARK :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have uploaded some images of the black plastic plenum chamber / inlet manifold on my car waiting for the moderator to approve them,I hope this helps you all that are thinking I am blind or thick! Lol :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did we come to any conclusion on this? Were swirl valves removed from the later models?

I can't see a rod on my 2008 model but not entirely sure what one looks like anyway.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I think they did fit a different manifold to later cars, I saw an inlet manifold advertised on ebay for a 1.9 jtdm 159 and it did look like the one described above.
Dont know from when they were fitted though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts