Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone could shed some light on if the behaviour descriped in the thread title is normal?

The RPM goes up to 2000-2500 RPM upon start, then quickly goes back down within seconds to around 1000-1200 RPM. The outside temperature can range between 10-20 degrees (C) and it still does it.

If i have driven for a while, shut off the engine, and restart it behaves like normal (Rev goes up to max 1200 RPM then slowly down).

Is this something you would consider normal or is it a sign of impending doom?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
It's not normal, but I've had it on mine for the last 18 months.
I didn't have it for the first 4.5 years of ownership.
There doesn't seem to be any obvious problem on mine - fluids levels are fine, passed the MOT etc.
I've a feeling mine is cam chain related, perhaps not set perfectly when I had it swapped out, but I can't get anyone to confirm this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's not normal, but I've had it on mine for the last 18 months.
I didn't have it for the first 4.5 years of ownership.
There doesn't seem to be any obvious problem on mine - fluids levels are fine, passed the MOT etc.
I've a feeling mine is cam chain related, perhaps not set perfectly when I had it swapped out, but I can't get anyone to confirm this.
My 2.2s the same. As an oldy (me not the car), it's like the choke coming on from cold. Does this not apply to current vehicles?
Doesn't seem to be a problem, just loud with the Wizard back boxes fitted.

Interestingly Lussoman just realised we both had the cam chain done at the same garage, but I can't recall if this was happening pre change.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
My 2.2s the same. As an oldy (me not the car), it's like the choke coming on from cold. Does this not apply to current vehicles?
Doesn't seem to be a problem, just loud with the Wizard back boxes fitted.

Interestingly Lussoman just realised we both had the cam chain done at the same garage, but I can't recall if this was happening pre change.
Ah, Eldon Street as well?
I noticed it for the first time as I drove away after the chain had been done, so pretty certain it's that or connected with it.
I did go back but they said there was nothing wrong. Of course they'd say that, it's such a labour-intensive job to get at the chain again, and they clearly didn't want to spend hours on it again.
As well as at start-up, the revs rise from 1st to 2nd (all the time) and from 2nd to 3rd (some of the time) and from 3rd to 4th (very occasionally) when changing gear, regardless of whether the engine's cold or hot.
I think I'll be going back to my old garage at Goosnargh for future work...

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Higher revs at initial morning start is battery issue.
Starter has sucked a lot at start and ECU is not enough electrical capacity to maintain level needed and increase revs to speed up charging. This is more actual for petrols than diesels because of sparking.
Battery charge would cure it. I would also check acid level ( plates are to be closed totally )at battery cells and add some water if it is possible. If it is not possible battery charge with open plates would not bring a lot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As well as at start-up, the revs rise from 1st to 2nd (all the time) and from 2nd to 3rd (some of the time) and from 3rd to 4th (very occasionally) when changing gear, regardless of whether the engine's cold or hot.
This doesn't happen with mine, maybe a new battery is the way forward?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
This doesn't happen with mine, maybe a new battery is the way forward?
Nothing to do with the battery on mine - as said it presents the same symptoms when fully charged after a long run, not just at start-up from cold.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
If ( for instance ) charger shows up charging process is completed it would mean battery is FULLY charged.
But it is does not mean battery is charged up to initial level.
Battery may be charged up to certain level which physically may be.
Amount of acid inside cells is being reduced because of water vapourisation. It opens battery plates and battery may not be charged up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts