Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered a lot but would like to give my insight and experience on the subject.
My car is above 2010 model and has 67K on the clock. Around 55K it developed a knocking,tapping sound from the left side of the car. At first I thought it came from the rear but after getting underneath and fixing a loose exhaust sheild I narrowed it down to the front left area.
After reading the forums on front suspension rattles and knocks I jacked up the front left and gave the wheel a good pulling top and bottom. There was no movement at all. I did notice that the upper wishbone aft bush showed some rusty stains and decided to investigate.
After removing the wishbone the nylon sleeve had become detached from the rubber and was a loose fit.
I have read different opinions on which replacement wishbone to fit and I went for a Moog. The bushes looked beefy and seemed to be better made the Alfa OEM
equivalent. I used a little petroleum jelly inside the steel bush to help prevent seizing. After it was all back together I took it for a drive. No noises and what a difference. Super quiet and firm feel.
Now I am due some new front tyres due to the usual inner wear. Am going to have the tracking and camber adjusted before hand so my new rubber stands a fighting chance.
Going to put 235/40/19's on for a little extra grip and to help protect my lovely alloys!
My tip here is even if there is no play in the upper wishbones and you do have a suspension rattle, whip them off and check for separation. My Alfa is back to its beautiful self!!??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Due to lot of squeaks and groans I have just fitted new TRW top arms to my wife's 159. On taking it all apart I noticed that the existing (old) were TRW and there was quite a bit of copper grease on the bolts - obviously this has been done before. Going back through the history I found and remembered that this was done 2 years ago so the previous TRW arms have only lasted 2 years and 17,000 miles.

My wife's car does short town journeys so does see quite a lot of speed bumps but I am surprised by TRW failing so quickly.

NOTE: the new arms have silenced the suspension.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've put ferbi/bilsteins on mine as my mechanic reccommended them. Seem fine so far- car feels nice and quiet and "firm"!

·
Registered
216 Posts
What is it with alfa and they're **** wishbone/bush quality. I have a 20 year old skyline with a double wish bone setup with no nocks or squeaks and i can tell you my wishbones aren't new.
Disappointing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts