Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just sold my Alfa 147, and bought a 2011 159 sport wagon 2.0jtdm 170hp. I am living in Serbia. Today I put the car on the ramp, list of the things that needs to be change. More or less what I expected.

However, there is one thing that troubles me. If I follow the exhaust pipe line I don’t see anything that looks like a catalizor or DPF… There is also no error on the dashboard here are few pictures… Could you tell me if I am missing both catalizor and DPF? Thanks

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
657 Posts
DPF definitely is replaced by a "tuning" replacement. Whether the cat is still sitting in there, should on top (or right under the turbo), can't be seen from the photo.

This is no good, I'm sorry for you! Perhaps the previous owner kept the original DPF in his garage, those items are expensive parts. I would give him or her a ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot… I am very disappointed. The car has been sold to me from a car dealer that insure to me that everything is complete. So far I have only noticed that miss but also something a bit strange. This car is very powerful… like I have the impression that it is faster than my old 147 1.9 150hp… and this is a wagon…

I am afraid that the original owner chipped the car, I mean to remove the DPF, you need to chip it anyway… :(

I see online that some DPF for 159 are sold for 380e brand new, is that a good option for me?

thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds like too cheap, as if the quality can’t be much good. Original sets were around 2,000 euro.
Here’s what a I see being on offer from a respected supplierfrom Germany, 1,500 euro.

Please note that 1.9/2.4 euro 4 engines have a different setup as your close-coupled euro 5 engine.

Furthermore, talking from over 100k KM experience with a tuning map, you can have plenty of power/torque with a DPF untouched. Mine put out 200hp/430Nm on a dyno.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot afford a brand new original one... I am going first to see with dealer if he can correct his mistake. But Also I will need to reprogram the ECU to accommodate the particule filter?

I mean, I don't see any light indicating an issue with particule filter which is not present. Event on the menus I did not see any menu referring to DPF.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If it’s been mapped after the DPF was removed then you won’t see any lights indicating a problem as DPF has also been removed from the software.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What Johnny is saying, without ”deleted” DPF in the tuning map, while having no DPF installed, then it would start every 300-500km (typical for mine) regeneration process of the filter. Time triggered it is mostly. As a consequence it will put out black clouds of unburned fuel which you cannot miss.

Opposite, if you re-install a DPF as supposed, without teaching the ECU it’s back on, it won’t activate the cycle, and your filter will get clogged in no time.

I would start with tracking down where the original filter was put on a shelf. As I presume, it must have been saved from the alternative method to “delete” the filter and that’s by emptying it or drilling through the core.

Can’t you claim any warranty?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This car is an import from Italy, there is no way I can find back the original DPF. The tuning pipe has been there since a long time, how it looks.

For the warranty I am going to bring back the car to dealer next week to discuss.

This car was not stock when I bought it, bigger non standard wheels, racing disk in front and KONI suspension. I knew that part, everything else inside was in excellent condition. I will replace this week suspension by original once, because it is way too low, I am constantly scratching the road. I am even thinking of putting slightly bigger tires. I switched back the wheel to some original ones, the one with 7 holes, I think tire height is 55, I was thinking of putting 60 to get a bit higher car. What do u think?

thank you for your help

·
Registered
39,893 Posts
How strict are the authorities in Serbia with regards to DPF removal?

If no one is bothered that it is revoved then I would be tempted to leave it.

In the UK things are strict, with MOT fails and invalidated insurance if tampering is found.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are getting more strict as years passes. But with this car I want to travel often to Europe, Italy, France etc… I am not sure if there will be pollution controls.

I have read old post on this forum that with UK mot some cars without dpf (but visible housing) are passing the test… is that true?

·
Registered
39,893 Posts
As long as the housing doesn't appear tampered with and the car passes the smoke test the car will pass it's annual inspection. But, if the car was involved in an accident and the insurance inspector checked the DPF and found it to be missing or hollowed out they could well refuse to pay out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is crazy… Because when you send you car to some mechanic someone can steal it from you without you noticing it. So how the owner can be responsible for it…

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,980 Posts
Mechanics don't usually steal them (at least in the UK!).....its thieves at night with cutting discs!.....much more difficult to steal a 2.0 one though (being in front of the engine under the bonnet) than the old under floor 1.9 and 2.4 versions. Its not like you could miss it....car will be at least twice as loud without it!!....so if you don't notice its gone missing whilst being worked on at the garage you deserve it really!! Symon is correct.....but in reality its pretty much impossible to pass the more stringent "no visible" smoke part of the test without a functioning DPF in place....and as said any tester worth his salt would notice the sound difference anyway and the hollow ring from the empty DPF.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just think that insurance company refusing to pay out because of missing DPF is over the board. It can happen that someone get a stolen CAT or DPF, or buy a remapped car without knowing it... Eventually getting some fine because of those missing part is understandable if they are obviously missing, but the lost of insurance coverage that's for me not related.
MOT is getting more and more strict everywhere around the world, so that by itself would discourage people from removing those part. For instance here in Serbia MOT is every year, I will either drive it without all the time or with it. But that does not pay off to remap a car every where and add / remove DPF...

·
Registered
21 Posts
DPF definitely is replaced by a "tuning" replacement. Whether the cat is still sitting in there, should on top (or right under the turbo), can't be seen from the photo.

This is no good, I'm sorry for you! Perhaps the previous owner kept the original DPF in his garage, those items are expensive parts. I would give him or her a ring.
Hi, the DPF on the 2.0jtdm is not located under the car like on the 1.9 and 2.4 versions. The DPF is located at the front of the engine bay in the center located under a heat shield.
I thought exactly the same when i bought mine.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thats clearly downpipe installed in place of DPF and catalizator. Anyway when buying a car you can know if catalyst is removed just by diesel smell from exhaust. The smell is like an old diesel car.
Here in my country, Slovenia, you can get a good refurbished dpf with new quality insert for around 500 eur , for this engine, but you will need ecu reprogram at some tuner locally if you will install dpf back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts