Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I have an Alfa 159 1.9L JTDm 2006 SW which has skipped a tooth on the timing belt.

I had a bit of issue with the auxiliary belt which had slipped and also a failing camshaft pulley. I'm assuming when these two parts failed it caused the timing belt to skip a tooth or two.

My question for everyone is how do I align the timing for the engine again, I have never done a timing belt before but decided to give it a shot so I've bought some tools which ill place a link too. I have taken photo's of how the belt is currently sitting with the current marks.

I have bought a kit to repair the rockers etc from Autolusso, just waiting for it to be delivered.

As much help would be awesome. I've got most of the engine stripped, just waiting to take the timing belt off.

Kind Regards,
Timothy
Water Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Gear

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Wood

Wheel Automotive tire Gear Rim Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

· Vendor
48,998 Posts
You use these to set the timing:

While carrying out the repair and the camshaft carrier is off the engine, you need to insert both cam locking tools into the camshaft carrier to ensure both the cams are correctly timed relative to one another. You can't do this with the camshaft carrier on the engine, you can only get the exhaust cam locking tool in due to poor access.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before we get carried away here, what makes you think you've skipped a tooth on the timing belt?
Hey bazz,

So what happened was I was driving and notice my power steering kept cutting out, the aircon wasn't working and the check engine light kept coming on, anyways I stopped at a set of lights and notice smoking coming out from the timing belt area so I turned the car off straight away.

Tried cranking the car after the smoke cleared and it just wouldn't start.

Towed it home where I tried cranking it a few more times, again it didn't turn on.

So I took the right front wheel off and the cover for the arch and notice black melted rubber everywhere on the auxiliary belt and also the crankshaft pulley (the damper failed). Also notice the belt had slipped halfway off. Took the timing belt cover off and notice chunk's of rubber sitting between the teeth of the timing belt. Cleaned it all out as best I could.

So I replaced all that and had another crank and again it wouldn't start. So I check all the fuses and also the battery voltage, notice it was a little bit low so tried charging it which didn't really make a difference so I bought a new battery. Yet again tried cranking it and as you guessed, it still didn't turn on.

So the only other thing I can think of is it's skipped a tooth or two for it not to be cranking over.

What do you think?

You use these to set the timing:

While carrying out the repair and the camshaft carrier is off the engine, you need to insert both cam locking tools into the camshaft carrier to ensure both the cams are correctly timed relative to one another. You can't do this with the camshaft carrier on the engine, you can only get the exhaust cam locking tool in due to poor access.
I have bought a kit similar to this one but unfortunately at like 10 times the cost.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, your deduction is logical. (Context is everything)

Don't ya just hate that! :sneaky:
So bazz, my question for you since I've never done a timing belt is how do I do it and also can I take the timing belt off before I receive the tool kit? Also how do I realign the engine since it's possibly skipped a tooth or two.

Thanks bazz.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another updated. Cam Carrier has been removed. Doesn't look like there are any broken rockers. I can't align the cam carrier with the locking tools from the exhaust side to the intake manifold side. Does that mean the Cam Carrier has somehow gotten out of time, could someone send a link or explain the process.

Ill post pictures below.

· Vendor
48,998 Posts
Sounds like the timing has shifted inside the cam carrier. The gears that drive one cam off the other can be loosened and the cams re-adjusted. They are on taper locks, no keyways. Amazed you haven't broken any rockers.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like the timing has shifted inside the cam carrier. The gears that drive one cam off the other can be loosened and the cams re-adjusted. They are on taper locks, no keyways. Amazed you haven't broken any rockers.

Thanks for the reply, if all i need is to realign the cam shaft ill be happy but it's something I've never done before. Would you know of a link to anyone who has done this please?

Perhaps time to buy a lotto ticket?

I think so. But just wondering the few close up pictures I have of some of the rockers seem to have fractures starting. Is that the sign of failing rockers or is that how they are made?

· Vendor
48,998 Posts
I've done it loads of times, just slacken both the gears (just slackening one is fine, but best to slacken and retighten both), turn the cams by hand until both camlocks go in, then tighten up both the gears. Then the camshaft carrier is ready to refit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts