Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in Turkey/İstanbul. I'm new to Alfa, I bought 2006 159 Distinctive pacgage [email protected] last week. Ex-Owner said it has a remap. Now I'm trying to understand and get a bond with the car. So far so good.

But First of all, I think he is lying to me about the fuel consumption. What every I like to drive, in city or highway. I cannot get above 5.6lt/100km. I have a light foot. I always try to use CC for ride. And I choice 100-110kmh. For my work to home,hom to work for 80km. I can manage 5lt/100km. But in City 6 people inside the car. me & 5 girls. light & smooth driving I get 5.5lt/100km. But When I look at the fuel gauge. I saw there are 8 parts, so one part shows for 8.75lt. After 200km I lost 2 parts, 17.5lt but the computer says 5.5lt/100km. How Can I trust , or how can I fix it?.

Secondly Ower said use Castrol Magnatech 5w-40 for oil. And dont mix anything else with the oil. And When we look at the engine. It seemed like It was burning oil before I bought it. I've added and fulled the oil. Now tomorrow I will get a full checkup. Is it true that upto 400gr oil can be burned @1000km I chech with a second car at highway. Exhaust doesnot smoke after all.

And sometimes I get something like "HillClimb cannot be used after all" then "ASR cannot be used" Where should I look.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Most poeple (in the UK anyway) use very little/ no oil.
However, you are doing well on consumption, in the UK I get 48-49 mpg on the motorway (5.9l/100), in city driving I am likely to get 40mpg or lower (7.1l/100km). Likely to be much worse with passengers.
The 159 does not do as well as it's German rivals on consumption, especially with town driving.
You will get better fuel consumption by NOT using CC (cruise control).

As for the warning messages, if they appear sometimes when starting your car, then your battery may need replacing. If it happens during normal driving, I would get your brakes checked up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, My brakes at their %80 of lifetime. I would change them asap. I asked the ex-owner about the remap. He said it is "all car racing" map. Car remapped in 11/13/2010. No EGR nor DPF removed. So I saw that you removed both of them. How is it? Can you tell? Is there smell like giving you a headache? When I went to buy the car. I asked the local service if they can check the car. And Engine guy told me in Turkey, they don't understand the "swirl valve" they are tend to stuck in one position and don't move at all. So They cancel it. But I cannot tell if owner do it or not by looking at it. I have to remove the inlet manifold. So what I'm asking "is there a possibility, that we can understand it like via computer check"

·
Registered
38 Posts
My fuel gauge seems to drop quicker from full to half way then slows right down, progressively, to the last 1/4. even if it is not an Alfa. I think it would be fair to assume that a fuel gauge is not as exact as we would like it to be.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Remember not all fuel tanks are rectangular, many have funny shapes to fit around seats, axles, suspension etc, whereas the fuel sender simply measures the height of the surface of fuel in the tank.
If those 'cut outs' are at the top, it will drop quicker. Funnily enough the 159 has been the most accurate gauge I've had, most allow about 100mile s before the needle moves and drop like a stone in the bottom half!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, also Do you recomend Catrol Magnatech 5W-40 C3 Oil for the car. Someone said to me, it is good for the ALFA but, when I crosschecked the oil list. Castrol Edge FST 5W-40 is suitable for the car. Or In turkey they recomend Mobil One Super S, they say, It makes engine less noisy, and oil stands longer with out lowering viscosity.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've been reading up about this for a bit, and although I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge, Alfa specify 5w-30, but you should be ok with 0w/5w or 30/40, depends on your driving:

If fuel consumption is your primary aim, then a 5w-30 would be better than a 5w-40 (though will be marginal somewhere hot like Istanbul), personally I use Mobile 1 new life 0w-40 as I do a lot of motorway, 30 might be better for shorter trips and down drives.

If you intend to keep the oil change at Alfa Spec (ie a long time), then 40 is probably better as it holds up better, as oil thins over time and gets contaminants. A lot of people here will change their oil at half the Alfa recommendation for that reason.
In hot areas 5w is fine (and not a huge difference in the UK), in Norway etc, definitely a 0W.

The important point is to ensure it reaches the C3 classification if you are retaining your DPF, (A3/B3 is fine if you have got rid of it). Castrol or Mobile? Not a lot in it to be honest. I've read that the Mobile losses a bit of viscosity though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you, Between My work & home has a open road about 36km. And If you believe there is almost 5degree Celc. Temp. Differens between. Because Work is near the sea, home is 183m higher but, have a different climate :D I saw -14 Celc last year. But my work town was 0 Celc.
And for this site Engine Oil for your ALFA ROMEO 159 1.9 JTDM 16V (150HP) Edge is for Fuel Consumption. Magnatech is for car with DPF.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As for the warning messages, I had the same and it was just the clutch or brake pedal switch. It is located above the pedal and can be adjusted easily by hand, because it can detect that the pedal is pressed at times when it is not and get confused.
To diagnose, when the message appears, just put your foot slightly below the pedal (first clutch and if no change, in the brake pedal) and push up, if it disappear, you know what it is.
This same problem can make your cruise control not work.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check when it appears again. Clutch should work because, my engine can start with clutch pressed, and he knows it. But for the brakes, I will try. Also for CC , yesterday cruising with 110kmh I jumped smoothly from a bump on a bridge-start, then CC cancelled itself, I tried to open, close but no information whatsoever. After I got to work. I stoped the engine. Got the key out of the socket. Then start again. After that CC came alive, and started to give information if its open or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Then for sure one of your sensors is bad adjusted. Just check that, when the pedal is released, the switch is pressed. Try to pull from the small pivot 3-4mm, it can be adjusted (both brake and clutch).
If you can start without pressing any pedal, then for sure this is the cause, but this can happen only from time to time, as you have noticed with the CC.

Easy and free fix.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, I was writing In Turkish Alfa Forum also, they said, their Road-computer can show 10lt avar. consumption for the city driving, which mine shows only 5.7lt max. Is there a possibility mine has a faulty firmware?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts