Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day alfisti!

I'm curently have an AR 156 2.0ts 2002 but i want to buy another alfa, 159 1.9jtd 16v. My question about this change is: the 159 1.9 16v with a remap will be more powerful and faster on typical roads than the 156 2.0ts? I'm considering 30-40hp over the stock map, without any mechanic modifications.

Thank you very much for your support! :cool:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not exactly the same but pretty close.

I had an S reg 146Ti and now have a standard 159Ti with the 1.9 JTDM engine. The 159 is a lot quicker. Any remap should only improve on that.

RSfruitbat

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had both cars, a '00 156 selespeed (2.0TS) that I sold years ago, and now the 159 1.9JTDm 16v.

They are close in terms of absolute power (hence,0-100 times are the same), but the sensation of power is more pronounced in the JTDm, due to the much higher torque. This makes it faster in typical roads, city, etc. The 2.0TS revs. very quickly, but you need to be above 3K rpm to feel something similar to an engine. Sound is beautiful and it is very refined, however.

Driveability is also very much improved in the 159.

So far, without the remap.

Now, with a remap (I have remapped mine one week ago, slight remap with +30hp, +50Nm), the 159 is way faster than the 2.0TS, with the plus of doubled economy, and it corrects the only defect (apart from the sound) of this engine: lack of low-end torque. Undertaking is a snap and you have power no matter what gear or revs (above 1500) you are in.

If you go for the 159 diesel, you will miss the TS sound, that's for granted. Elsewhere the 159 is much better, specially with remap and EGR deactivation. And I am a petrol-head, hating diesels until I drove this one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ ssanmor

Thank you for you answer, hope i will not do a bad decision with the 159jtd. Also, you are right: the TS sound is absolut fantastic and rev happy. I'm waiting for other repleys from members who made this comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not really the comparison you're looking for, but my dad owns a '05 156 1.9JTD 8v remapped to around 150bhp. I bought a '07 159 1.9JTDm 16v TI remapped to 185bhp. I'm way faster :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts