Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is feasible to remap an Alfa 159 1.9JTD 8v yourself using the proper tools/software and maps.

Primarily I want to find out from a cost perspective to acquire the necessary reader/software and maps.
if so, can you make any recommendations in that regard (brands, shops, models, cost, etc.) ??

Secondly, is it technically feasible ... I mean ... I've read on Squadra Tuning that you can go up to 160bhp on these?

Thirdly ... if you do not recommend the above ... is it possible to order a pre-programmed chip (from a respectbale tuning company) and insert it yourself (saving some cost that way) ???
If so, what are some good companies that do this?

Sorry for the multitude of questions.
Thanks in advance tho.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
is it possible to order a pre-programmed chip (from a respectbale tuning company) and insert it yourself (saving some cost that way) ???
No.
Not on any Alfa from about the last 10-years.
They need programming via the EOBD port now, there is no swappable "chip".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David for your reply.

So, is there any hardware/software you would recommend to do exactly that?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Thanks David for your reply.

So, is there any hardware/software you would recommend to do exactly that?
Suggest you look for a reputable mapper in belgium to do this - as trying to do this yourself is as wise as doing root canal yourself ;)

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured as much.

The problem is that the most renowned remappers in Belgium have been gradually increasing their prices.

Auto Tune Heinz for example are pretty good, but they're asking 750 EURO for a remap. Which is really high in my opinion.

And at Squadra they ask about 600 EURO ... bit more acceptable.

And what about chips you can put between your original ECU and the engine? Like the Unichip ? Are those recommendable?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I figured as much.

The problem is that the most renowned remappers in Belgium have been gradually increasing their prices.

Auto Tune Heinz for example are pretty good, but they're asking 750 EURO for a remap. Which is really high in my opinion.

And at Squadra they ask about 600 EURO ... bit more acceptable.

And what about chips you can put between your original ECU and the engine? Like the Unichip ? Are those recommendable?
There is a thing called a P-Box that may be an option :)

There are plenty of threads on here - suggest you PM AutoLusso - who swears by them - to give you the low down - he may be able to ship you one :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
if you sucked out the current map you would be on more of a postion to ring a tuner (say red dot) and ask them to map it and e-mail it back - not saying they would, but at least if you had the map on your pc and explain the fact you are a distance away...

Other than that, take the treck cross channel if you can (just one tunnel open!!!) to red dot and pay the 250quid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts