Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from holiday and on the way to the airport (5 hour drive) my 159 cut out, I pulled over to the hard shoulder and tried and tried to get it going. Eventually it just about started but really struggled the rest of the way. Went over 80 ok, but lost power and speed going up hill.

On returning from holiday, it just would not start at all. I used FES to check the faults and had the following...

P2009, flow shutter valve
P0101 Air Flow meter signal
P0111 Airflow Meter air temperature signal
P0340 Phase Sensor
P010F Air mass airflow meter incongruence.

I cleared these and tried again but the P2009 flow shutter valve came back on.

The AA came out and had a look, but couldnt get it moving either, despite cleaning up the Mass flow sensor. They checked the fuel in and out the filter and that was fine, but the fuel pressure at the injectors was extremely low... This seems to be the issue, no fuel going in.

The EGR has been clogging a lot, but had a good clear out on the long drive.

Anyone had similar issues? It's a 1.9 diesel 2007 auto.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
When you tested the fuel pressure in the rail was the engine cranking over.? if you just tested it with the ignition on it will be low as its just the supply pump in the tank that is working then.

It does sound like the egr valve has jammed open but your fault codes suggest otherwise. It is well worth making up a temporary egr blank from a piece of coke can and fit it to the egr intake, you will need a 13mm socket and a pair of scissors to cut the blank to shape

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, the AA guy asked me to try starting, and he checked the fuel then... EGR often gives me crap. Would love to take it out altogether but the hassle of remapping etc puts me off. This time, I don't think it is that though... either ECU telling it to hold back on fuel, or the high pressure fuel pump I think.

Thanks for the reply though!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wont even start though... not got the fuel pressure into the injectors to do that. Aaah, will have to leave it to dealers to fix I guess!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wont even start though... not got the fuel pressure into the injectors to do that. Aaah, will have to leave it to dealers to fix I guess!
Up to you, looks like a clogged up system.. Get FES on it, check the DPF clog rate (You may have to force a regen if it's got to that stage when you can get it booted up).. Take out the MAP and MAF and clean it.. Put it back together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since you had the "P0340 Phase Sensor" error, maybe something is wrong with the "Phase Sensor" (telling the ECU how the crankshaft is positioned). When starting ECU looks for a "mark" in the crankshaft using this sensor in order to synchronize itself to a known crankshaft offset.

It uses the "phase" of the crankshaft in order to determine when it needs to operate the injectors and if it does not "see" the mark when starting it will not inject fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jakabac, could well be something to do with timing... It is in the dealers currently and they think timing is out. That would make sense!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. I'm curios to know if you got the problem sorted. I've had almost identical issues. About to have a very expensive manifold replaced. What was the outcome for you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts