Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have just recently noticed with my 159 1.9 lusso that when the revs drop to around 1000rpm there is a splutter noise. I can hear it whilst driving in between gear changes. It isn't affecting the performance of the car at all its just annoying and I'm tuned into it now. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Is it on the belts side of the engine? Plenty of choices there. Cambelt worn, idler or tensioner bearings or waterpump seizing (when were they last changed)?.

On the aux belt, possibly the idler. Or a seized one-way alternator pulley can set up a fluttering rattle in the tensioner at low revs. You will the movement if you shine a torch down the offside of the engine at idle: belt and tensioner lashing around. If not, you can temporarily remove the aux belt and if the noise vanishes that will pin it down and enable the idler and tensioner pulleys to be examined.

If it's not down the side but elsewhere a better description or recording of the noise might help. Possible boost hose leaks, but they affect performance and cause black smoke in the exhaust. However it might be just a small leak so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The noise seems to be from the belt side of the engine. The belt and pump were replaced Oct 16. The more I hear it it sounds like little puffs of air. At first I thought it was the exhaust but that has been checked and in hindsight it wasn't really loud enough for exhaust. I will attempt to record the noise in the morning.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Think the 1.9does have some sort of dump valve, perhaps this could be to blame?
How quickly is the turbo pressure dropping?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts