Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this engine is liable to destroy the top end and Pistons if the cam belt breaks. Mine has either broken or gone slack, it just died when driving on the motorway and after having it towed to a garage they say they think the cam belt is either slack due to tensioner problems or broken. I wondered if this engine is an interference one or not.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The 16v diesel is an interference engine but the valves are set vertically and the rockers are designed to break on contact. Valve and piston damage is usually avoided so lifting the head isn't necessary provided a compression test doesn't show loss. The cam belt failing is usually caused by the water pump seizing.

The sump will have to come off to retrieve roller bearings from the destroyed rockers.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nb 2009 will have slightly slimmer valves and beefier rockers than earlier 16v so you may be unlucky. But assessing damage should be possible without lifting the head. 2 slightly bent valves on mine (not from belt failure but swirl flaps entering the engine) were very obvious on mine.

·
Vendor
45,471 Posts
Where are you based? You'd be better off getting this job to a garage that has done it before. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run to pay a couple hundred quid in transport at this point before they start taking it all apart.

·
Registered
696 Posts
+1 for Pud

from what I've read on here over the years, the 1.9 16v is an interference engine (as I assume the 2.4 is as well) but the rocker assembly is sacrificial so that falls to bits without any damage to the pistons/valves.

You need to count the bits of bearing you take out though so you know if you have them all, this will be the deciding factor in whether you need to dismantle the engine more than just removing the rocker cover.

IIRC Autolusso used to have a price on there website for this repair. (Don't know if they still do) but a couple of hundred quid to get it shipped to someone who knows what they are doing will probably save you a lot of money/anguish over having it done by someone who keeps telling you it need a bit more work (or doesn't get all the bits out and leaves you with a freshly damaged engine when a roller tries to get through the oil pump)

Axe.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My cambelt broke at idle. (long story including generatorbelt eaten by cambelt.)

No damage done, but had to take rockercover off to check, which includes injectors so major job. Do NOT just fit new belt without checking if any damage is done on the head as this will wreck your engine if anything has happened!...

Price for snapped belt, including new waterpump, rocker-gasket & seals for injectors totalled approx. 150 £...So you can be lucky ;-) Bent valves doesnt seem to be an issue as others has said & explained why :)

·
Vendor
45,471 Posts
Early engines = chunky valve stems & fragile rockers = very little chance of bent valve

Later engines = thinner valve stems & chunkier rockers = the rockers do usually still break, but valve bending is a bit more likely to happen, although the chances still in favour of them not bending

1 - 8 of 8 Posts