Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just new to the forum.

Just bought an Alfa 159 JTDM 16v yesterday evening its a 2008 model with 135kil on the clock with full main dealer service history.

Anyhow all was well until I went to start the car again last night and I get a warning message ( Have engine checked) and the amber symbol appeared on the dash. I also notice when cold the rev counter needle is hunting but settles down when the engine warms up.

However took car for a run this morning the car seems to drive ok amber light still on got home turned off the car, than turned it back on again and guess what no warning or amber light code which I believe from the book means fuel injector!!Have I bought a lemon or is this common or do I have a serious problem[/U]Any help or comments much appreciated!!!
:confused:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The Amber 'Check Engine' light is a bit of a 'catch all' alarm for many different things. Given the engine, age, and symptoms I'd say it's either the EGR valve or the DPF. Both of which are fairly common By the fact that it's switched itself off I'd say the former. Do a search on these, and you'll find loads of stuff. You'll probably find that the engine management reduces the available power to protect the engine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got the same error - Gave the car a good blast on motorway ....possible needs DPF regen...engine check light will go out only after several restarts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys took the car for a run came back and turned off the car, restarted it and no errors!! I notice when cold at first start the rpm needle is hunting, it steedies than when warm has all this to do with DPF.

Is this normal ??

All this diesel stuff is new to me im afraid!!!

Thanks for the replys

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you buy the appropriate cable (about £10) and also fiatecuscan you can see what the error is. For diesels it is common that soot and tar can clog up the DPF and EGR. If the car is doing regenerations ok then that can clear the DPF. Just search for DPF and EGR on the forum - there is loads on it and is very common on diesel engines of all makes.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hunting when cold sounds like EGR to me. The two are effectively interlinked however, and if you have EGR issues, it's likely that sooner or later you'll have DPF issues too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys brought car to Alfa today and they confirmed that its the EGR valve

Thanks again to all

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts