Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 156 2.0 TS. Timing belt stripped when starting the car. After sitting for 3 months I finally changed the timing belt. I want to do a compression test before assuming the valves were hit.

When I try to turn it over the starter clicks once and then a humming sound for a few seconds. Thought it was the starter so I replaced it (******* of a job) and same result. Battery is good.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you tried turning the engine by hand? Take the plugs out and turn with a spanner/ socket and ratchet to make sure it will turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried turning the engine by hand? Take the plugs out and turn with a spanner/ socket and ratchet to make sure it will turn.

Thanks for your reply auds 2. I had to turn the engine manually when I changed the timing belt. Had to turn the crank pulley to line up the timing marks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would suggest turning through a few full turns of the engine with the belt fitted to make sure. It could have vale contact with a piston top preventing turn over

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest turning through a few full turns of the engine with the belt fitted to make sure. It could have vale contact with a piston top preventing turn over

Ok I will give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Next step for me would be a compression check to see if you have valves stuck part open/bent caused by the belt issue you had

1 - 8 of 8 Posts