Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anybody please help.

Came to start my 1.9 156 JTD this morning and it's dead. The engine will not turn over at all and shows no signs of even attempting to.

My initial thought was the immoboliser but the 'code' light on the dash goes off when the key is inserted into the ingition so I assume that's ok ?

The active check goes off and reports no problems.

the car had a new battery 3 weeks ago so that can't be the problem.

Please help

Simon

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Check the battery terminals are tight :)

V

·
0 Posts
its not the immobiliser as you say the code light goes off but even when it doesn't the starter motor still turns,

i would think its as simon says battery connections are loose or maybe its flat, possibly you bought a dud?? if you have a volt meter use that to test it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies - very much appreciated.

is it possible that all the internal lights, radio, climate control etc can still work with loose battery connections ? Even when the battery was flat a couple of weeks back the engine made some vain attempt to turn over. This time it's completely flat lining !

V

·
0 Posts
check the battery with a volt meter or perhaps try a jump start and get it to a garage, maybe your starter motor has seized

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Many thanks for the replies - very much appreciated.

is it possible that all the internal lights, radio, climate control etc can still work with loose battery connections ? Even when the battery was flat a couple of weeks back the engine made some vain attempt to turn over. This time it's completely flat lining !
yes :thumbs:fully charge battery up
have a look at this thread might help
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...termittent-start-ignition-prob-any-ideas.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the starter motor has freezed - and it was very cold overnight, when outside temperature warms up will the starter motor release itself with no damage ?

providing all the other suggestions prove negative of course

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
if the starter motor has freezed - and it was very cold overnight, when outside temperature warms up will the starter motor release itself with no damage ?

providing all the other suggestions prove negative of course
seized:cheese: i would charge battery overnight and check connections and go from there:thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
am working on the basis that this is a starter motor fault. I'm defo no mechanic but battery connections seem sound. When you 'start' the car after the glow plugs light has gone off, you can hear a click.

Do cars still have a soleniod or is that part of the starter motor ?

Anybody know the cost a starter motor to be fitted ?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
At the rear of the engine, gearbox end, under the inlet manifold.....unless you know what you're doing, a PITA job.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's one of those jobs - if I knew it was definately the starter motor then i'd get it to the garage. I can get a refurb starter motor for £52 and a garage will fit for around £50 too.

It's job being sure !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts