Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 156 won't give any power

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  WallyZ 
#1 ·
Good morning I just wanted to know my Alfa 156 wont rev above 4500 revs and wont give me any power. I have changed the feul pump and took out the knock senser and the MAF sensor has been cleand and changed the tdc sensor has also been changed. When it gets hot it shits down and won't start until it is coold down. It gets feul to the engin.

What can it be?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, good point. Sounds like fuel supply issue to me. If it's petrol, I'd measure fuel pressure at the rail. My guess is very low pressure when fault occurs. It should be 3.5 bar. In a case of intermittent fuel flow and pressure, check fuel pump inside tank for moisture or dirt before changing pump.

#5 ·
What have you checked already? Does it run fine up to 4,500rpm?

I'd suspect the air mass meter is 'topping out', based on your brief description of the fault.

Do you get any engine management lights coming on the dash, any fault codes on the ECU?

#7 ·
What have you checked already? Does it run fine up to 4,500rpm?

I'd suspect the air mass meter is 'topping out', based on your brief description of the fault.

Do you get any engine management lights coming on the dash, any fault codes on the ECU?
No i don't have engin lights on and no it feels like i am driving in 1st gear throughout the gears it wont go faster

#10 ·
Having read this again, I think that diagnostic equipment may be needed but I'd swap over things with the main relay, fuel pump relay and ECU relay with a fan relay to be sure it isn't simply a strange power supply problem. What age of 156 is it? Are you sure the engine management light/info screen is working?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.