Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 20v is making a rumbling noise, speed related and relative to the road surface. I have changed both drive shafts now and it is still there. I have tried spinning the wheels and holding the springs and nothing. No play either.
Today I swapped the tyres around and still no change. There is no perceptible change in the noise loading up either side round corners either. I am pretty sure it's the front as I can feel the grumbling on the pedals and to a lesser extent the steering.
Is this front wheel bearings or something else like the diff? It also makes no difference if under acceleration, breaking or coasting.
Logic points to wheel bearings but none of the usual tests indicates so.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Regards Tim

·
Registered
121 Posts
If its a deep grumble it sounds like wheel bearings as you suspect as from my experience worn diffs tend to whine rather than grumble. Does the noise get louder when accelerating or change tone?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply
No in short. That's what's odd. No type of "loading" makes any difference just the road surface and speed.
Definitely sounds like a rumbling bearing but which one? I might just have to do a wheel bearing.
Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts