Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I've had a huge amount of help on this forum before and run into a little problem so thought I would post this here to see if anyone can diagnose.

My alfa is a 156 v6 (1999 model).

The issue is that the engine wont start, when turning the key you can hear the engine try tio start but it wont kick in. I've filmed the noise below in this video:

Alfa engine turns over but wont start - YouTube

(When I say boot I obviously mean bonnet!)

Each time I try to start the engine I get a noise as heard in the video if you turn your volume right up hopefully you can hear it. Each attempt after that (i've tried not to do this too many times as no doubt won't do the car much good) the noise gets weaker.

Some background (and why I think this may not just be a dead/low battery issue):

1) The car was working fine but has been sat left for 1 month whilst I was away. The problem happened when trying to start the first time (where it hasnt been used for a month) which is now doubt a factor in this (suggesting a battery issue)

2) I have tried a trickle charge for about 1 hour (not enough for a full charge but normally enough to give enough juice to start the car). This was just before filming the video, I have left the car on trickle charge again and will wait longer this time (4/5 hours this time) and will update if this has any luck.

3) This is happened once before 4/5 months back. It was the same issue where the car was left for a couple of weeks, it did the same thing, and then the next day (without trickle charge on at all) and it just started first time. This to my suggests there may be something more at play than just a dead/low battery since otherwise it wouldn't have started again so easily.

Any suggestions as to what this could be are most welcome (i'm quite an newbie when it comes to fixing this type of stuff so idiot-proof instructions are also welcome!)

Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Remove that Video off You Tube ASP before you get absolutely slaughtered for being something rather derogatory !!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself out to your local Motorist centre (GSF/Halfrauds and the like) and get yourself a NEW BATTERY ;)

I have put this as politely as i possibly can.....i am trying to protect the credibility of Alfa Owners here !!....the Brand gets slagged off enough without setting yourself up for a good verbal going over!

Good luck Bud

G

·
As above, possible new battery but only after putting your old one on charge off the vehicle for 24 hrs. Refit it, try starting again and then get to a tyre/ exhaust center and make use of the FREE battery and alternator checks they do for you, it takes 5 minutes.... Ps. How much fuel is in???? They need at least 10 Litres in to start when run out of fuel. If it has been standing for a while, fuel dissipates to vapour and escapes out the breather pipe... Not much but if it had less than a few litres in, then enough to reduce the fuel pump pressure so it won't start in a month of Sunday's no matter how many times you try to crank her over;)

One last tip... If you are going to leave the car standing for more than a week, remove the battery terminals and lock the doors manually with the key and door pins. That way the battery won't drain;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome tips thanks. So the latest is that I left the battery on trickyl charge over night, it was charging that time for about 20 hours.

The trickle charger still said 'charging' when came to check just now but being impatient I tried again. Same kind of issue, it tries to start and makes the same noise as in the video, then after a few attempts it just clicks.

When I turn the key I do hear the 'buzzing' noise (if that helps) and if i turn (to start) and hold the key in that position it just goes 'click, click click' repeatedly (almost as if the click gets faster)

My next step as suggested here will be to assume the battery has conked out - the only reason I am unsure about this was the last time this happened the next day (without any charging at all) it just started again, but perhaps if the battery was temperamental then it might explain this?

So my next challenge is figuring out how to remove the battery. Any tips welcome including what size socket I would need, it looks like its being held in pretty tightly by the surrounding clamping thingy, im hoping its just hat one bolt needs unscrewing (its pretty tricky to get to with the socket actually since there are tons of pipes in the way).

If I get the battery out i'll try buying a new one today and see how that works (thanks for the tip on the free alternator check i'll ask about that)

Its quite an old battery and I live in Sweden so it was sitting in the very cold (-25 degrees type thing) for a while through winter, so may well have been the cause.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: got the battery off now. wasnt as hard as it looked just released the one side of the intake hose) and undid the bolt (size 13 socket for anyone else attempting this) and came out nicely.

Now how to figure out how to get to the swedish halfords equivalent to buy a new battery without a car :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Now how to figure out how to get to the swedish halfords equivalent to buy a new battery without a car :)
Put the battery back in, get a jump start from someone, drive to the Swedish Halfords equivalent (other motor factors are available), pop the new battery in while you're in the car park, problem solved.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All. Thanks a lot for the super handy tips as per normal. Love this place! Popped the battery back in and fired up a treat, was just a dead battery it seems. Next time I go off away I think i'll take the connectors out to be safe like suggested here.

Whilst I'm at it going to try figure out a rattle noise going on from the engine area, i'll post again on that separately on this thread if anyone has any ideas all welcome!...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...ine-idling-injection-problem.html#post5329859

1 - 9 of 9 Posts