Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
As the above title suggests, my 156 is blowing only cold air in to the cabin and hence this time of year I'm driving back late from work with no de-mister no heat and I'm always freezing cold. The engine is heating to 90 deg as usual and the engine radiator coolant level is ok. I've tried all the controls for the cabin heat etc but it just blows ambient air. I've looked under the bonnet but nothing is obviously loose but I don't know which pipes feed air to the cabin anyway.

Please could someone help this frustrated idiot??

Thanks in advance.

Humping Dumpty

·
Registered
426 Posts
See attached heater information from elearn on how it works. You might want to get a copy of elearn from somewhere. I downloaded it from a website which no longer exists.

I've not looked where they are but there are a couple of water pipes to the heater and they should hot when the engines warmed up. If they are then your into heater control cables etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
your problem i believe is air distribution that is located in drivers footwell ..if you put your head up to left of clutch pedal you should see it held on with 2 5mm bolts if i remember right

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and thanks Pauljs for the diagram that you took the time to dig out for me. Very useful.
I've checked the servos and the hot / cold air flap thing as per other posts, reset the ecu (battery disconnect).
I think the problem might be that the hot water night be bypassing the heater matrix but I dont know how to check this.
Davealfa11 - do you mean the flap that I've checked controlled by a servo on the rhs behind the heater control panel or something else?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi i would advice u not to drive untill it gets check out as my heaters went cold on my 1.8 t-spark, an the radiator blew, watrer went through the engine, therefor no copression left engine was ****ED! HAD TO REPLACE IT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have the same problem with "cold" air in the cabbin on my 156, i then to get "some" heat but can regluate it with my controlls. looks its stuck on below "medium".

is there still this that have "stuck" in one position?

FIAT ePER

ezy to change on 156?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i have the same problem with "cold" air in the cabbin on my 156, i then to get "some" heat but can regluate it with my controlls. looks its stuck on below "medium".

is there still this that have "stuck" in one position?

FIAT ePER

ezy to change on 156?
can be but i would disconnect battery leave it 2 mins and reconnect .this will reset a/c

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is outside temp there? is engine temp uo at 90c
we have about +2Cens for the moment (the weath are a bit strange), but its warm now to be in sweden Jan and Feb its mor likly to have temps below -25C, engien temp is about +88C running, on idle +90C and if left on for more than 3 to 5min tha fans start to cool it for a 1min and then its cold again, running on idle that is.

have no problem with engien temp at all, only cold in the cabbin :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
we have about +2Cens for the moment (the weath are a bit strange), but its warm now to be in sweden Jan and Feb its mor likly to have temps below -25C, engien temp is about +88C running, on idle +90C and if left on for more than 3 to 5min tha fans start to cool it for a 1min and then its cold again, running on idle that is.

have no problem with engien temp at all, only cold in the cabbin :)
put your question in 159 forum this is 156 forum ,when you give engine a thrashing does engine temp go well past 90c,just saying this just in case you got waterpump problem ie water circulation

·
Registered
10 Posts
put your question in 159 forum this is 156 forum ,when you give engine a thrashing does engine temp go well past 90c,just saying this just in case you got waterpump problem ie water circulation
this is regarding my 156, my 159 dosent have this problem, i changed oil in my 156 just now this evning and then i pluged out the battery, that dident help :(

no the temp do not get over +88 then a thrashing it :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
this is regarding my 156, my 159 dosent have this problem, i changed oil in my 156 just now this evning and then i pluged out the battery, that dident help :(

no the temp do not get over +88 then a thrashing it :)
v6 2.0 1.8.1.6?1.9 2.4?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
single, old optics, its from 1999.
potentiometer in right side foot well probably faulty,i had same problem on v6 ,took it off and then replaced it after checking flap for free movement seem to have cured mine,the flap moves to change flow of air over matrix

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had only cold air from my heaters,it was a broken thermastat but these apparentlty fail open if this helps.Heating works fine now with new thermastat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts