Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I hope someone can help, I have an Alfa 156 1.8ts for the past 3 years i have had no problems, Last week i was driving along approx 40 miles an hour and the engine just stopped, I turned it over and the starter was just spinning, A garage looked at it and said the timing belt had snapped and they did a further test confirming valves had been bent.

I got the car towed back home and thought i would tackle the job myself i have a good mechanical knowledge.

I took off the belt cover and the belt was still on and had not snapped the problem seems to have been caused by a white plastic pulley as it seemed to be very wobbly, suggesting that the belt had slipped rather than snapped, It was also obvious the garage that said they took the cams out to test the valves had not done this.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me step by step instructions on how to change the belt, tensioners ect, The belt was changed 18 months ago and has covered approx 18k miles, It seems that the tensioners were not changed and it just had a new belt.

I really dont trust any garage to do the work due to the price involved, If the belt had slipped would it have done any damage to the valves?

If it has i will replace everything my self.

Step by step instructions would be great and any advice anyone could give.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
With a slipped belt, and the fact you tried to re-start it, you are probably looking at 16 bent valves. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Are you up to tackling a job like this on your own? Replace the headgasket while it is off, don't try to re-use the old one. Check the valve guides for any cracking, some might need replacing.

Where abouts in the UK are you based?

Best of luck with it :)

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Oh, and what garage was it that changed the belt without changing the tensioner? :loony: Name & shame I reckon..

Its a known fact on here that most cambelt failures on the TwinSpark are actually down to the tensioner going on the pish and throwing the belt off or allowing it to rub on something and wear out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
yes, the belt slipping will result in bent valves, you will also need to check the pistons for damage as the valves comming into contact with the pistons can cause damage to the pistons

this happened to my 1.8 ts, the belt shed some teeth and bent all 8 exhaust valves and cracked some pistons, i would suggest having a garage test the bottom end, if there is damage to the pistons then it will be cheaper to have a recon engine fitted rather than repair

i hope you are lucky and just need valves

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
garage that changed the belt was Churchills in Potterspury Towcester in Northamptonshire the car only went in for an overheating problem which turned out to be the water pump, It took them 2 weeks to work that out, After changing everything else first. Yes i'm up for the job myself i guess that way then anything thats not right i only have myself to blame, I just have a real trust issue with all garages, The one garage i do have some faith in the guy didnt want to do the job, being a very small garage just doing small repairs. I am from just outside Milton Keynes. Thanks for your help and back to the spanners for me!

·
Registered
569 Posts
You buy a belt kit and it comes with new belt and tensioners. You do realise you'll need to do a hell of a lot more work than just change the belt and tensioners? The valves will be all bent for a start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have quickly realised the amount of time and money going to be involved so have decided to buy another 156 which i pick up tommorow. I will stick my one on e-bay if i get enough for a pint i will be happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts