Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
My 156 (post facelift 2.4JTDm Veloce) was one of the best cars I've owned, only let down by its propensity to scrape its bottom on the road.
How many sumps did you go through?

I agree, having such a tall engine mounted so low at the front, without a proper suspension set-up is a real bad thing. My JTD suffered for it, the V6 isn't as bad but you can still feel that it is nose heavy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
im on my second 156 2.5 v6 in 3 months.1st one decided on terminal engine failure,not cambelt either cos i had just spent 1400 quid at main dealers on both belts all idlers and tensioners and waterpump and a couple of odds and sods.also treated it to new maf sensor,both top wishbones, shocks on all 4 corners ,both rear hand brake cables ,thermostat ,2 new rear tyres and a 200 quid dvd/cd .about 3500 pound including initial cost of 1200 pound for car.to say i was nearly physically sick when it popped its clogs is an understatement..cheered my self up by buying my second one .at least ive now got a bountifull supply of spares.worst car?no chance,best car ive driven..bloody expensive to maintain though..especially 9/10 year old ones..interestingly my second one needed maf sensor,thermostat,top wishbones and suspension all round and temp guage went on blink,lots of part changing going on..good therapy methinks..madness is only part of the disease..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I loved mine, it did me proud, and amazingly never had a problem! It's only been gone 4 weeks but every time I see one like my old one on the road I smile and remember the days lol. Now got a Spider LE, so can't complain as I love that too!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had mine 4 years now, starter motor, battery, air con died, love it to bits, ps eats front tyres, gt cloverleaf 2.0 due 01/10/2008 yippee. my 156 ?the best motor i have ever had xx:)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
...discuss
You're just being controversial for the sake of it. Expand on your point or, alternatively, just don't be a dick in the first place.

As for the 156, best car I've owned - although coming from a Punto and a Saxo that's not hard!

D

·
0 Posts
All of my 156's have been great cars.(in fact all of my Alfa's have)
The worst car I have owned was a Rover Vitesse Sport, and the second worst a Nissan 200SX (s14)
What happened to your SR20DET did it go kaboom like most of them :cheese:

Best car I have owned is a 1.4 engined Alfa lmao:D And I have driven loads of 156's and by god they are great fun. Loved the old white TS 2l we had on loan before some car.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ive never owned an 156 but ive driven a 2l t spark, awful interior, stormer of an engine, great looks,not as refined as my 166 but then its not suposed to be.

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
I don't have a "worst car I ever owned"..

Each one had good points as well as less good points. All of them were reliable and each one did what I needed it to do at the time. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
37,147 Posts
What happened to your SR20DET did it go kaboom like most of them :cheese:

Best car I have owned is a 1.4 engined Alfa lmao:D And I have driven loads of 156's and by god they are great fun. Loved the old white TS 2l we had on loan before some car.
It didn't go kaboom. Firstly the fuel pump packed in leaving me stranded. Then the turbo/manifold gasket failed leaving the car making a nasty farting noise on acceleration. Then the intercooler split. The aircon packed in, a rumble appeared from the rear diff on acceleration
I gave up after 3 months. I suppose I might have got a bad one but some of those are typical faults aparrently.
It also drank oil that to a point which made the worst of my Alfa's seem tee total.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Should have bought a petrol
Well, not sure about that! I have owned two 156s;

1) 1.8TS Lusso Sept 1998. One of my favourite Alfas I've owned, superbly weighted steering with instant response, a gem of an engine which revs freely with enough power to get you moving along quicly enough. Comfortable interior, lovely white dials that look even more impressive at night time, overall a superb package from Alfa that represented an 'iconic break' from all the dreadful dross that had gone before. Loved by the Italian Police. Drawbacks? The early 156s did have problems with trim falling off (superglue was always handy), variators did tend to go (got mine replaced under warranty), keen eye needed on the suspension bushes front and rear. Perhaps the most puzzling issue was the brakes: servo clearly not strong enough, and why solid discs on the 1.8 engine?

2) 1.9 JTD 16v Sport (150bhp), Oct 2005. ok it burns oil but after 1st and 2nd gears the car really flies with a relentless urge, and it does rev freely to 4,500rpm, not bad for a diesel. Build quality better than the earlier cars, everything holding together well (no superglue needed), lovely leather interior, very useful 6th gear for motorway cruising. Average well over 50mpg on long runs (have verified this myself recently on long run from Kilkenny to Cambridge). Only gripe again is the brakes, better than the 1.8 (vented discs at front, larger discs at rear), but still not enough 'bite'.

Despite all the niggles, the 156 has a charismatic presence on the road even today. You can forget the Mondeo/Vectra/Passat herd, this car has more personality in its indicator stalks than all these cars put together.

H

·
0 Posts
I've owned 3 cars.
The 156 is the middle of the 3.

Best - 200SX S13 - Modded. Stunning performance, great looks, wonderful noise and great fun with every single turn of the wheel. I miss the punch of the turbo :cry:
I'd have it back tomorrow. Was gutted to sell it.

(current) - 2.0 156TS Veloce - Good performance, tendancy to understeer spoils things when you push hard. Love the looks though, and red leather interior is near perfect. Rare enough to feel reasonably special, but common enough to have no aggro finding bits for it when needed

'Worst' - Pug 106 quiksilver - Cheap interior and very cramped cabin. Struggled at anything much above regular motorway speeds. That said, handling was brilliant, and really nippy around town. Would hang on the coatails of much bigger cars on the twisty stuff. From an era when Peugeot really knew how to build a chassis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I have to agreee - never really owned a bad car. Just different cars.

Student life was spent in a '92 Micra shared with my girlfriend at the time - drove like shoebox suspended in rubberbands, but it faithfully took me through 1500km of forest in Sweden to catch the WRC in -20C. And everywhere else, come to think of it.

Various company cars always ended up in the WV range - older and newer Passats, with the occasional long term rental of 3 series or A4's. They were nice, but so, so predictable.

Come now the 156 I picked up in Germany when moving to France. Changing a headlamp, it scrapes my knuckles more than my Micra ever would when working on the brakes... and dependable? :rolleyes:

Thing is, I still love it to bits. Every part of it :p

·
Registered
958 Posts
I owned a VW Bora ,that was a bad car. Well, not technically - technically it was a good car. But boring. Really really boring. Idea to save the planet, give everyone VW Boras, then people would walk more :lol:

Rich

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
21 - 40 of 97 Posts