Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after someone mentioned the idea of this in my earlier thread re: 1.6 ngines, it got me dreaming a bit about a last of the line 156 lightweight; i also own a pug 106 rallye, and i love lightweight 'specials' and their ilk. So it would have to be something like the following;

stock alfa 156 chassis
1.6 engine in a higher state of tune, i.e. camshaft upgrade, sport filter, ecu reprogrammed for more top end
thicker front and rear anti roll bars, and a factory strut brace (almost unheard of - do any other manufacturers fit strut braces from new?)
156 GTA front seats, in red, with any elecs removed; lightweight cloth rear bench seat fitted with quick release tabs so you can take it out + put it back quickly, via the back doors.
156 GTA steering rack.
different gearing.
less soundproofing (but not a complete absence of)
thinner glass in the side windows, with winders all round instead of elec windows
springs and dampers uprated but still with some roadworthy compliance in them
16 inch black speedline or similar wheels
a really cool looking retro styled steering wheel, with a wooden rim.
paintwork....... only one choice of colour.... and i think it would have to be that very light solid blue that you hardly ever see on 156's - think its called achille blue (anyone confirm this)?
and finally it comes supplied with a powder blue airtex polo shirt and a pair of 50s style driving gloves, both alfa embossed, so that you can look like ascari or someone when you are driving it across europe.

this would be well sexy.

jim

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
jamescharlesworth said:
after someone mentioned the idea of this in my earlier thread re: 1.6 ngines, it got me dreaming a bit about a last of the line 156 lightweight; i also own a pug 106 rallye, and i love lightweight 'specials' and their ilk. So it would have to be something like the following;

stock alfa 156 chassis
1.6 engine in a higher state of tune, i.e. camshaft upgrade, sport filter, ecu reprogrammed for more top end
thicker front and rear anti roll bars, and a factory strut brace (almost unheard of - do any other manufacturers fit strut braces from new?)
156 GTA front seats, in red, with any elecs removed; lightweight cloth rear bench seat fitted with quick release tabs so you can take it out + put it back quickly, via the back doors.
156 GTA steering rack.
different gearing.
less soundproofing (but not a complete absence of)
thinner glass in the side windows, with winders all round instead of elec windows
springs and dampers uprated but still with some roadworthy compliance in them
16 inch black speedline or similar wheels
a really cool looking retro styled steering wheel, with a wooden rim.
paintwork....... only one choice of colour.... and i think it would have to be that very light solid blue that you hardly ever see on 156's - think its called achille blue (anyone confirm this)?
and finally it comes supplied with a powder blue airtex polo shirt and a pair of 50s style driving gloves, both alfa embossed, so that you can look like ascari or someone when you are driving it across europe.

this would be well sexy.

jim
I did all that(tuning/suspension/wheels/brakes etc) and then some more to the 1.6 engine in my 147.I turboed it too.You cant beat a powerfull little 1.6 litre for the sheer craic and fun of driving it ;)

I think you should do all the above to your 156 1.6 litre.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
WTF? Any lightweight Alfa racer would have to be painted Alfa Red!

The engine should be a tuned two litre which can't weigh much more than a 1.6 surely?

*Edit* - Oh no! Some Alfa Anorak is gonna tell me the difference in weight between the two engines. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
jamescharlesworth said:
..also it would have the aircon removed, and the PAS turned down a bit for more feel.
I bet you to that aswell. :lol:

I did just that,ripped out the air con rad,air con motor and all the crappy pipework for it.I also ripped out the crappy radiator and fan unit too.Took a good bit of weight off the engine and freed up space for a Pace race spec 55mm thick core radiator and a big 50mm thick core front mount intercooler too. :D

Air-Con,Who needs it,I dont,all it does apart from giving nice clean,cold air is sap power from the car/engine and use up more fuel.If im hot I just open down the windows and sunroof.Simple. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in fact, for ultra retro lightweight feel, i think it may have to have....

steel wheels. They can look good. These would be designed to be likea visual tribute to the steelies aboard the old Alfa GTA cars.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
jamescharlesworth said:
in fact, for ultra retro lightweight feel, i think it may have to have....

steel wheels. They can look good. These would be designed to be likea visual tribute to the steelies aboard the old Alfa GTA cars.
It was me who made the suggestion of a "Superlegger" clubsport run-out for the 156. My own thoughts are that it should not be a tribute to past Alfas but a pure lightweight racer for enthusiasts to signal the end of pruduction for the 156, a car that lets face it marked the "rinascemento" of the Alfa brand.
The car would appeal to enthusiasts and racers alike and would, quite literally, be stripped out and certain panels replaced with lightweight materials such as Aluminium or Carbon fibre. The window glass would indeed be thinner and there would be no compromise on modern creature comforts such as air-con or power windows. The engine would be the best in terms of power to weight ratio (and to that extent this would prob rule out the V6, sadly) and I can foresee the job given to Auto delta for this purpose. The wheels would of course need to be light alloy to reduce unsprung weight.
In fact I'd love to see what Auto Delta would make of just such a proposition as it might make more economic sense for Alfa to give them the entire project. Any thoughts on target price? Discuss.........

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Will said:
It was me who made the suggestion of a "Superlegger" clubsport run-out for the 156. My own thoughts are that it should not be a tribute to past Alfas but a pure lightweight racer for enthusiasts to signal the end of pruduction for the 156, a car that lets face it marked the "rinascemento" of the Alfa brand.
The car would appeal to enthusiasts and racers alike and would, quite literally, be stripped out and certain panels replaced with lightweight materials such as Aluminium or Carbon fibre. The window glass would indeed be thinner and there would be no compromise on modern creature comforts such as air-con or power windows. The engine would be the best in terms of power to weight ratio (and to that extent this would prob rule out the V6, sadly) and I can foresee the job given to Auto delta for this purpose. The wheels would of course need to be light alloy to reduce unsprung weight.
In fact I'd love to see what Auto Delta would make of just such a proposition as it might make more economic sense for Alfa to give them the entire project. Any thoughts on target price? Discuss.........
Dont just think or talk about it,Go and build one.Thats what I would do. ;) :D Wait a minute,I kinda did. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts