Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just replaced my crank sensor and my oil breather valve on my 156 TS 1.6. I'm wondering is there anything I need to do after replacing the crank sensor? When I start it it starts for a second and dies straight away but it keeps doing that continuously if I keep holding the key in the same place. I've tried a ECU reset but same problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
840 Posts
did you get the old o-ring out when you removed the old sensor? if not, it's likely still in there and the new sensor not seated deep enough.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Did you fit a quality part? You might have flooded the engine if you continued to try and start the car.

Why did you replace the crank sensor? Was it because the car was having trouble starting if that's the case the initial problem is likely to still exist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part was OEM. If I had flood the engine what do I do then?
Just took it out again and found that the sensor was covered in some oil. Same as when I took the old one out. Is there any way to clean it deeper?

The car would throw up motor control failure at times. That's why I'm replacing it..

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
Just took it out again and found that the sensor was covered in some oil. Same as when I took the old one out. Is there any way to clean it deeper?
I'd be worried if there was no oil on it..... The sensor pokes into the crankcase to a toothed wheel on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give it a check. Just wondering if there was a leak, would be be a cause of the car not starting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've refitted the crank sensor and also checked my spark plugs, they seem okay. I've tried a jump start but still the same. Not sure what else I can do other than leave it for a day maybe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could it be an electrical issue now? I've noticed when the car tries to start the cabin lights would flicker

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I've refitted the crank sensor and also checked my spark plugs, they seem okay. I've tried a jump start but still the same. Not sure what else I can do other than leave it for a day maybe
So when you checked the plugs were they wet or dry . If they were dry perhaps fuel is not been delivered to the engine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts