Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I don't spend alot of time in this lounge but i am on the lookout for a good 156 Sportwagon(preferably diesel)
I have a GTA Saloon currently, but with an expanding family i really would like a Sportwagon to throw stuff in the back of.
What should i be looking out for on the diesel models?
I am pretty clued up on 156 GTA as i have done most things on it now so i know suspension, brakes etc are all going to need work and possibly bodywork. ALthough to be fair i am really looking for a good body car but needs mechanical work if anything.

Is the 1.9 the best to go for or should i be going for a 2.4 10V or 20V?

The other option is i ignore the diesel and just buy a GTA Sportwagon. But i think it would be more sensible of me to buy something a little more economical(boring!)

And before anyone asks.... NO i am not selling my GTA, this will be staying and used more for fun rather than ferrying the kids everywhere and ruining it even more haha.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Will

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
1.9 16v or 2.4 10v, those are my preferences. 1.9 on handling, 2.4 on noise/feel.

Reactions: will01

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bothered too.much on handling if I have to go diesel route. Besides I could always fit my GTA arbs to it and a few other ex GTA items.
Okay a horrible question now.
What's the fuel economy like for both diesels?
What the tax cost for both diesels?

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Not bothered too.much on handling if I have to go diesel route. Besides I could always fit my GTA arbs to it and a few other ex GTA items.
Okay a horrible question now.
What's the fuel economy like for both diesels?
What the tax cost for both diesels?
Fuel economy when reasonably spiritedly driven is about the same for both. 2.4 is £220 to tax, 1.9 is £180. If you are a sedate driver you might get more economy from the 1.9 but in my experience I haven't, because I find the lack of natural torque means I'm always relying on boost and the shorter gearing inevitably means you rev it a little higher.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What sort of MPG or range do you get out of a full tank then in either?
I am guessing high 40s and 50s? If it was 50s an above i will just go route of 2.4 me thinks

I have nothing to base it on apart from the fact that the GTA is either less than 15MPG or close to 30 on motorway :)

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
High thirties on local tanks, 50mpg on a long steady run. At normal motorway speeds about 45mpg.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounding more tempting.
Have also been checking out an S4 Avant.
My options are get a big estate with proper engine and have yet another big thirsty petrol to add to collection.
Or go 156 Sportwagon diesel route and the money saved put towards GTA and Capri. ....
Decisions......
Much appreciate the info Dan.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Go Ford Capri. I still miss mine from 16years ago. They've got grunt and are a pleasure to work on and cheap as chips and have loads of tuning options.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go Ford Capri. I still miss mine from 16years ago. They've got grunt and are a pleasure to work on and cheap as chips and have loads of tuning options.
The Capri is a long term work in progress.
3years building soo far. 10year plan in the making.
I do miss driving my old one. I took it off road 8 years ago now. :(

Grunt.... maybe. But nothing compared to what we have planned with fitting the 4L VI out of my xj8 ;)
Cheap. So far more than the GTA. The build bill won't take long before its in 5 figures! Woops!
Tuning options. In that department I am custom making lots of things.
All this comes into another reason I want an estate so I can ferry car parts around with ease along with family stuff :)

By on track then. I need to find a Sportwagon 2.4 10v and one that is preferably not Rosso.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, i am actively searching a 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon, unless of course a good 1.9 16V comes up for sale.

I am driving to Reading/Wokingham this coming Thursday.
So far i am trying to setup for viewing and looking over 5 2.4's, are there any more out there?
I will be driving south M6 from Dumfries, then M5, M42/M40 and then across onto M4. Preferably i would like to tie into the drive south.

If you are selling one let me know by pm or post on this thread. I am looking to drive back in one of these cars, provided there are good.
No messing as i am serious to buy to right car. Any help greatly appreciated. My plan is i will be south in and around Reading from Friday day to Monday. I can extend my visit by a day or so if needs be.
Please help me find and by a nice 2.4 Sportwagon :)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Test drove a rough looking but seem to be ok(ish) sportwagon 2.4 JTD.
Actually i really liked the way it drove. The one i drove needs a little work, quite alot of cosmetic but some mechanical.
Very impressed with the torque. I am looking for a good long distance cheap family cruiser which is more economical than the GTA.
Already i am planning upgrades!!!! Haha. Will defo need to fit the GTA arb's i have spare after going to Eibach. Fit some pu bushes.
Stainless Exhaust so i can stop thinking about it, air filter to hear that superb engine note a little more.
Honestly though the engine noise is great and is the best sounding diesel ever. Love that 5 pot sound, want to hear some more turbo noise lol.
I am still hoping by the time i have driven home from Reading to Dumfries i will own one of these Sportwagon JTD's that i have arranged for viewing. If i do end up buying 1 in the next 2 to 3 days whilst i am south of the border i will post some pics of the new (to me) car :)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am now the proud owner of 2.4 JTD Sportwagon :)
Can't wait to pick it up later on and give it a good wash inside and out. Then got a long drive 350 miles back home early next week.
It needs a bit of cosmetic work and a few niggly mechanicals. But for £775 i think i have a bargain.
Can't wait to get her home in one piece and sit her next to the GTA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts