Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to this so please don't bite my head off if I get this system wrong.
I have owned a 2000 black 156 selespeed sportswagon for about a year now. Overall I love it's handling and styling, however a couple of months ago the gear indicator started to flash in 5th gear from time to time but didn't give any problems. Recently when I parked my car at work and turned the engine off a knocking continued from the engine bay and the car wouldn't start. I disconnected the battery then reconected it, the knocking had stopped and the engine started and gave no more trouble until Friday. On my way home from work the geardox struggled to find the correct gear in both city and manual mode until, after three miles it ended up in neutral and I had to pull over and stop. I could hear the knocking noise again which continued after I turned off the engine. I disconnected the battery briefly which got me going again and I drove home without a problem. I'm ok at diy mechanics on older cars, but this system is rather complicated and, as I live in the Western Isles, going to an Alfa garage is not an option. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Moodyblue

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Im no expert but the knocking noise may be the actuator trying to select gears.Check the clutch pushrod length this may help determine if the clutch has gone.Alas there are so many variables the first start is diag or you could spend ages barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The money they will charge you to do a check may be as much as downloading fiatecuscan off the internet and buying a cheap diag cable off ebay or a tried and tested cable off rarebear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts