Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As we all know, the sound system in 156 is not really good. So i bought 4-channel amplifier to control the door panel woofers.
The problem is, i dont have any idea where to install this amplifier.
Do any of you have personal experience, where have you fitted these? I would like it to be somewhere more hidden, and still have the boot area as practical as possible.

Any help, advice and pictures are appreciated :bowtie:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Depends on the size of the amp. Under the front passenger seat? Otherwise, the boot is the best place, say on the back of the rear seat, on the floor against the rear seat, or on the side of the boot mounted vertically.

There is no correct answer. Just take the amp, and see where it suits you best.

:)

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
This is what I am doing with mine. It is a project car, so the interior was all out before we started.

Head unit in the normal place.
Two sets of phono cables back to the boot, along with a switched live (amp comes on with the radio)
The amp is an Alpine 4 channel - about the size of a phone book. It is bolted to bulkhead behind the rear seats, the boot is pretty much the same as before.
Speaker outputs come forward from the boot, and are patched into the original loom.
The power cable for the amp (thick) goes forward, and into the engine bay through a hole in the bulkhead than looks like it is used for the bonnet release on LHD cars - it exits at the top, close to the battery. I've plumbed it into the existing battery fuses, so it all look OE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers!
I have been thinking about putting it behind the rear seats, just like rxe.
By the way, can you get a photo of the installation to here? Would like to see how did you implement it? :happy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make a hinged frame supported from the bottom of your pacel shelf, totall hidden and easily accessible for adjusting gains ect.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
'Under' the parcel shelf can be ok, but be mindful of heat dissipation. Heat rises, so if the amp is tucked up under the shelf, there's less cooling and more chance of overheating.

Class D amps run cooler (ie: more efficient), and at lower powers/volumes, it should be ok. But in general, heat is the enemy of electronics. Virtually all amplifiers have heat protection circuitry, so it's unlikely you'll fry anything; but it would be a nuisance if the amp repeatedly shuts down.

In the UK, should be ok. In Australia, a big no-no! :p It's also a no-no to secure an amplifier upside down, for the same reasons. The main casing works as a heatsink, and needs to allow how air to rise up and away from it. If upside down, more heat is trapped inside.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts