Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a problem with the power steering on my 156 (01/2001 X). It suddenly disappeared this weekend and the reservoir was empty on inspection. I filled it up but 24 hours later it was empty again so it's clearly not right and is now at SGT in Maidenhead.

SGT are saying that the pump has gone and that the fluid is leaking out of the pipes around the pump. They can replace the pump for £330+VAT but until they do that they will not know if the steering rack will need replacing which will cost around £630+VAT if it does. Although it's low mileage (48K) it's due it's 6 year service and CAM belt change which will be around £800-£900.

So, depending on how pessimistic I am it will be expensive or very expensive so I phoned Alfa Aid.

They quoted £50 less to do the pump but did observe that they rarely go although the pipes often do. They have quoted around £550 for the service.

My inclination is to take the car to Alfa Aid - it will be cheaper and it's well out of warranty so I can't see any downside but do you have any opinion on them as a dealer or on the accuracy of anything I've been told - I'm not an expert on cars by any means.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I bought my car from SGT and was always impressed with their servicing ... but the prices were high. AlfaAid are run by an Alfa enthusiast (who had an SZ once), and I had a couple of jobs done on my 75 by them as they were much cheaper. Since thir move to Maidenhead, their labour rates seem to have got closer to SGTs ...

If you want a third option and a much lower labour rate, try L&M in High Wycombe 01494 538899. If I need anything done to my 156 or just need advice, they will always be my first port of call.

PS Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Fluid is either leaking from the pump or the pipes. If its leaking from the pipes around the pump then you don`t need a new pump, you need new pipes!

Take it to Alfa Aid or somewhere else for at least the benefit of a second opinion.

Don`t forget to fill it with fluid first or you really will knacker the pump when you drive it.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The indie every time given the age of your car. Except for warranty work, we use an indie in Leicester for both of ours and they are newish at under 3 years and under 2 years old :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You are in safe hands with either SGT or Alfa Aid, frankly, I've dealt with both. Alfa Aid aren't cheap, but they're very, very thorough. SGT aren't typical Alfa dealers, they know their stuff, but like all main dealers they are pricey as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,

Thanks for that. I had to drive it to SGT although I did fill it with fluid immediately beforehand. Any ideas whether that would have been sufficient to damage the pump or is that impossible to answer?

Thanks again

G

·
I know the aluminium pipes bursting due to corrosion was a common fault before alfa brought revised parts that were coated or something. What year is yours?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
doctore said:
Chris,

Thanks for that. I had to drive it to SGT although I did fill it with fluid immediately beforehand. Any ideas whether that would have been sufficient to damage the pump or is that impossible to answer?

Thanks again
Not sure I can answer that definitively but I imagine that without fluid it will get very hot and the vanes will wear out quickly. Just keep topping up and you should be OK. You will know if its poopped because it will be poor at assisting at low rev turns.

G

·
doctore said:
It's early (Jan) 2001.
Should have the uprated parts on it I would have thought, mines a V plater (2000) and it has them.

I would just be methodical and check every joint you can find, plus the lengths of hose until you find a leak, a good way to do this would be to dry off the whole system with kitchen paper and fill it up. Go away for a night then check it all again in the morning, both off and on (it's under pressure when on) when you find the leak you'll know better what to do, ie. tightening it up or replacing a section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts