Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to thank all who post here for all the valuable info I have read over the last while. I recently found an answer to my problem and I want to share it.

The Engine Management Light came on in my Alfa 156 a while ago. When I read the codes back I got P1177 and P1178. I spent a bit of time getting up to speed on ECU's and the likes as I'm a novice to this game and came to the conclusion that it was either the MAF, Air hose or O2 sensors.

When I cleared the codes the Light came on again after 50miles. I think the codes are related to the long term fuel trim.

I recently had to take the car for a test and they couldn't hold the revs at 2500 for the emissions test. At idle it was fine but touch the peddle and up they went (about 4000) and back down. As i was in a rush, I got a tuning shop to look at it and they said when the MAF was removed the throttle could be controlled so I ordered a MAF on ebay, swapped it and have driven a few hundred miles since with no light.

I hope this is of use to someone.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to thank all who post here for all the valuable info I have read over the last while. I recently found an answer to my problem and I want to share it.

The Engine Management Light came on in my Alfa 156 a while ago. When I read the codes back I got P1177 and P1178. I spent a bit of time getting up to speed on ECU's and the likes as I'm a novice to this game and came to the conclusion that it was either the MAF, Air hose or O2 sensors.

When I cleared the codes the Light came on again after 50miles. I think the codes are related to the long term fuel trim.

I recently had to take the car for a test and they couldn't hold the revs at 2500 for the emissions test. At idle it was fine but touch the peddle and up they went (about 4000) and back down. As i was in a rush, I got a tuning shop to look at it and they said when the MAF was removed the throttle could be controlled so I ordered a MAF on ebay, swapped it and have driven a few hundred miles since with no light.

I hope this is of use to someone.
as the same code can mean different things for different engine/ecu types we'd need to know the follwoing:

year of car =?

engine in car =?

those code can also relate to MAF, on old ecus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my point of view the problems appears to be solved. Since replaced the MAF, the error code has not reappear. My post was only to share my findings with the forum

2001 Alfa 156 1.6

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi,
I just got the same 2 lights, cleared then reappeared after a little while.

Car is running fine, just a little worried about smakys post re:cambelt! had mine done around 12000 miles ago

What should I do next??

Ta

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
cam belt looks tights.

cleeared the codes but then came back after ~100-150 miles - is this more likely to be MAF or cambelt given the interval of it coming back?

Is it worth changing the MAF to see, or is there any furhter diagnostics i can do?

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had error codes P1177 & P1178, also with Camshaft Position Sensor, to change the Camshaft Position sensor the CAM Belt has to come off!!!!! So im killing two birds with one stone, is thsi likely to fix all my problems or will i still get these error codes? Also i ahve been told 156 1.8i T-Spark has two Temperature sensors can you please tell me where the second one is? One is over the thermostat where does the other little bugger live?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the codes P1177 & 78 can mean cam sensor for one ecu & lambda/maf issue for another.

you need examiner or alfadiag to tell for sure, a generic code reader can get them mixed up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lamdba Sensors have been checked, the Oxygen mix is ok.

The Cam Shaft Position Sensor Error Comes up check it the next day and P1177 & P1178 are pending, check it the day after and they are all on, but The Cam looks a little worn anyway the ribs are starting to show, only just bought it so i think the previous owner neglected it, so its best to have that done, £150 Fitted so cannot argue with that.

G

·
Be aware dont ignore Smaky as if he says check the cam belt do check it as he is a man with more years experience on Alfas then I have years on this planet...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please help!! I am pissed off, it is still starting but the oil has gone, aa are coming out to have a look wont be much help i know but i need taking to the garage who did the cambelt!!!! does anyone think it maybe the cambelt or is it something else????

G

·
Get it checked but sounds like the bearings have failed in the engine not related to the belt but get the AA to check for sump damage etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just found out the problem the Gudgeon Pin in fooked out on the First piston, too much play in the piston, Conrods are fine no scoring on the Bores, Top halfs good but damaged a few valves, Had the whole top half including 16 new valves new cambelt kit etc etc and a new piston for £600 ish..... I have been quite lucky the engine has been fooked more than that is suppose still dont like the large hole i have in my pocket mind.... Cant wait to run it in on Saturday down to wales im going to take it nice and easy...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts