Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title suggests, the odometer on my 156 sometimes illuminates, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes it's dull when you start the car and then illuminates red half way through the journey.

Would this be a bulb issue? If so, what type of bulb do I get and where from?

Are they easy to change?

Any other suggestions to rectify.

Not a major issue but a tad annoying to us 'OCD' types!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
IIRC it's something to do with needing a proxy alignment using ecu scan, but I thought this was only specific to 147s and GTs rather than 156s...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it could be a poor contact so could take out the speedo unit and check. I just wondered if there was a bulb/LED for the odometer (mileage reading). It just seems to illuminate when it likes which is a minor annoyance. If it's an easy check/fix then I'll have a play!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I assume you mean the backlight for the LCD is intermittent? If so it's just a little bulb that twist fits in the back - dead easy. I have no idea what sort of bulb - I grabbed one from an old Alfasud instrument cluster I had lying around. As you do.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I assume you mean the backlight for the LCD is intermittent? If so it's just a little bulb that twist fits in the back - dead easy. I have no idea what sort of bulb - I grabbed one from an old Alfasud instrument cluster I had lying around. As you do.
Yes, as shown on the pic (mileage is genuine!). This shows it when the digits illuminate nicely but, more often than not, they aren't lit up!

Could do with finding out what bulb goes in here then I can take apart, replace and refit all in one go. I wonder where I'd find out what sort of bulb goes in here though! I have searched...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Seems the bulb is fine if it works sometimes, and all you will need is an aerosol of contact cleaner (Maplins). Though that is an LED panel that might be self-illuminated, so this could get more complicated...

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I've only got a rev-counter lying around at home - got plenty of speedos at the unit - but IIRC all the instrument bulbs are pretty much the same - in a twist mount holder, and its probably the contact on this that is the issue.

Taking out the speedo is only a five minute job (assuming you stop for a coffee break halfway through ;) ) - just 3 screws and the electrical connector to unplug, so I'd pop it out to check......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts