Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I have a problem with my keys.
One key works fine, it is a two button key and it opens the doors, etc when you press it. Put the key in the ignition and it starts fine.
The other key will open the doors when the button is pressed. When I put the key into the ignition, all the normal lights come on plus one more which is a key symbol with CODE and it will not start.
Has anybody got any idea's or know somebody who could sort it out for me.
I live in Romford, Essex.
Many thanks,
Tony:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
You may need to open up the key and check whether there is a chip inside the non-starting key.
However
Is that key new - if so it may be that it will only need coded to your system however I suspect that someone may have changed the ecu and code box at some point and only got one working key with it and then the chip from that key has been swapped into your working key.

The alarm/central locking on a 156 operates separately from the code system which is possibly why both keys will physically fit the locks and still work the central locking/alarm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key is the one that I got with the car, but the battery went dead and I did not replace the battery for a long time as I had another key. I eventually got another battery and put it in the key. I then found out that the old key would not work

D

·
0 Posts
The key battery though is not involved in the code system.
Did the key originally start the car ?

If it did start the car are you sure you didnt lose the code chip when you had the key open ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts